Confirm Tax Residency Prompt

Hi Kenneth,

Sorry for misunderstanding. At the moment we are only accepting National Insurance numbers for those who are United Kingdom tax residents but i’ll make sure we look into the option to allow users to input their UTR.

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

On that specific point, what is the argument?

For the sake of interest, given that I do not have a UTR

3 Likes

Well, the various international agreements on the exchange of information for tax purposes reference “tax identification numbers” (TIN). The closest thing the UK has to a strict TIN is the UTR, albeit UTRs are not issued to all UK taxpayers (somewhat inexplicably given the name).

Thanks for the explanation

My taxes are thankfully (but maybe unfortunately!) not exciting enough to have to worry about international agreements

Hi!

I got the prompt this morning however it didn’t accept my UK National insurance number. It was in the correct format Qq123456F. Any ideas what to do?

EDIT: it didn’t like that I copied it straight from my pdf payslip! Typed it in manually and all was fine

2 Likes

Hey there. I also received this pop up about residency. I left the UK a while ago but kept my monzo account as I have overdraft on it that I use every now and then. My question is: Since I no longer live in the UK what happens to my account if I switch it to my current country (Poland) ? Will I have to close it or can I keep it and use it as normal ? Or would that be okay to just use a close friend’s UK address and choose UK as country of residency ?

there is a specific legal definition for Country of residency you have to legally comply with its not a choice of where you want to say you are legally residing for tax purposes , and then live mainly somewhere else …

and you are agreeing to sharing this information with HMRC and other tax authorities…

2 Likes

My prompt has come up twice now

4 Likes

Me too. I don’t know whether this has become a daily exercise, or whether I’m getting more than my fair share because I’m special. :joy:

2 Likes

Community members get daily tax prompts :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Got one of these yesterday. No NI prompt though.

P.S OP you might want to work on your screenshot obfuscation skills :joy:

Thank you for letting us know, this is all fixed now!

4 Likes

I had one of my tax residencies disappear before so it is good that they are double checking. If I had not been playing with the app I would have never noticed when it happened last year.

Did you check for leading/trailing spaces?

1 Like

I’ve had this sort of exacting before when pasting into fields (and it happens all the time when I’m pasting in Word documents for work). I think it often copies things like line breaks and trailing blank spaces

One way around this is to copy first into Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac) and then copy the text from there.

It will remove all formatting and usually gives you a “clean” version of the text.

Sometimes it can come in very useful!

I was doing it all on my phone and as far as I could tell it was all just the correct numbers and nothing wrong. Must have been something like that which I couldn’t see.

Sounds like an area Monzo could improve, then - good input fields will strip these characters that break things when parsing the input.

Am minded of the days when companies used to have forms with fields like “Phone number (please enter without spaces)” and I was always really angry with those because it’s trvially easy to strip the spaces from the input when processing, instead of shifting the burden to the user.

5 Likes

Or if you don’t put your postcode in capitals

Why sites just don’t fix these forms…

3 Likes

Totally agree!