Competitor Update 2

Not really, not when I can get someone else to do it for me. :wink:

STFW!

Let’s go for something, perhaps, a little more trustworthy than The Grauniad.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rip-off-card-charges-to-be-outlawed

I’m doubting my use of the word trustworthy in relation to Govt.

Description

243. Under PSDII, retailers will no longer be able to charge consumers to use payment instruments for which interchange fees are regulated under the Interchange Fee Regulation (IFR) ((EU) 2015/751). This includes the majority of consumer debit and credit cards.

244. Not all retailers currently surcharge and, where they do, the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 limits this to the cost borne to the retailer when making the transaction. The regulations ban excessive payment surcharges being charged to consumers, while allowing traders to recover the fees directly charged to businesses for taking payments from consumers.

What your Link branded card? It won’t change for as long as you have that card. I don’t think newly issued cards have the link logo on the back anymore. (Cards issued by Smile bank has not had the logo for quite a few years now.)

Mine, issued 11/16, has the LINK logo on the reverse. I never use ATMs on my business card anyway.

That’s interesting. Wonder why both Smile and it’s high street bigger brother are not treated the same. Maybe different card manufacturers.

I could really do with that “hundreds of millions”.

Still don’t rate 'em, personally but good for them!

Does anyone know what Monzo’s numbers are at right now?

1 Like

450k - 500k PrePaid

and

agree. Particularly their poor customer service.

As for the million. I wonder if that just cards or genuinely active accounts!?

1 Like

This isn’t probably the only number that matters now:

Though the prepaid card got close to 500k, it will be shut down at the beginning of next year.

1 Like

The thing that still puts me off revolut is the constant stream of “help, my account’s been locked and I can’t get at my money” posts in their community.

4 Likes

Fills you with confidence, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Got this just now. Anybody else? :eyes:8B35C355-7ABF-4FB9-9620-AD56C93AB723

Got one a couple of weeks ago. Installed the app. It was rubbish. Deleted it. Asked Tandem to delete all of my data.

1 Like

Email just received from Chip.

Hmmm. Let me think about that. Chip’s target is just £600,000.

2 Likes

To be fair, I can’t even remember when I signed up. Not heard anything about/from them in ages. What did you find rubbish about it?

I thought they were supposed to be a bank. They’re not. Some account aggregator thing that’s not as good as anything out there already. Completely underwhelmed by Tandem.

2 Likes

Aren’t they a bank again - they bought Harrods Bank, didn’t they?

1 Like

At the moment they are just doing credit cards (in process of offering people to apply) I believe 500 invites for the credit card are going out this or next week.
They bought Harrods for the banking licences but don’t believe this to be finalised yet? (If anyone can confirm or correct me)
Apps working fine for myself. I really like it.

I concur

Dutch bank bunq (a new startup like Monzo) are expanding rapidly

Last Friday they broke their record of cards ordered and issued all of their Maestro card stock (they supply MasterCard Debit and Maestro Debit).

Like any good business they have a backup plan. That’s why all card orders in the coming weeks will receive a temporary card. They’ll automatically send a replacement when their next batch of cards is ready.

They also used this surge in business as a chance to refresh the Maestro card’s design.