Competitor Update 2

There’s no reason to believe that the protection would be removed on N26 accounts because of brexit.

4 Likes

If Revoult and Loot can be trusted by thousands than I don’t doubt people will go for N26. They have better record than most and are established in few EU countries already.

1 Like

Ah OK, thanks everyone, I know a little bit more about it all now :slight_smile:

I read somewhere that they were bringing a basic and premium account, so I’m assuming that this is their black card. The black card looks seriously good, much better than any card in the UK so far, in my opinion.

3 Likes

It’s ok that the card looks good, but what does the account offer that’s better than Monzo or Starling.
We will all end up with out Money split between many different accounts!

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve said previously give it 2/3 years, all the new banks will look similar and have similar features. It’ll just be personal choice/preference.

I hope that Monzo keep innovating to stay ahead of the pack.

1 Like

Not exactly a competitor but…

2 Likes

Always carry a second card. And especially ensure that one is Visa and the other is MasterCard - belt and braces approach never lets you down.

1 Like

or 7 cards, Amex, MasterCard, Visa, Discover card, JCB, Diners card, Union Pay for total overkill

I also have £7.38 and a washer in my pocket. Just in case.

6 Likes

Who issues Union Pay?! I thought it’s mainland China only?

UnionPay in PR China, Macau and Hong Kong though mainly mainland as not too popular in the SARs. Also outside China in Myanmar etc. In Hong Kong HSBC are one of the issuers, in the mainland all four major banks issue UnionPay branded cards.

JCB (a Japanese brand) in Japan, Germany, France, Austria, Hong Kong etc and Carte Bleu in France and various central European countries.

Discover card in USA where they have an acceptance agreement with UnionPay.

Diners Club in USA, UK and central Europe.

Ah for a second I thought my next travels in China could be much more cash free as I found last year that non-UnionPay branded cards acceptance abysmal, sadly couldn’t find UK banks issuing union pay cards… :pensive:

Deutsche Bank in Germany used to issue a co-branded card but don’t think any UK or Irish banks did. Union Pay useful not just in China but Myanmar etc too.

The use of non-UnionPay for chip and pin is poor but with the UnionPay contactless spec being EMV maybe there is greater acceptance of contactless?

I’ll just say McDonald’s in China accepts ApplePay but only if it is UnionPay… that was a big let down in the middle of the night…

UnionPay is the only interbank network in China that links all the ATMs of all banks throughout the country. It is also a POS (Point of Sale) network, but it looks like that network may not link up to international card schemes (with the exception of Discover card with who they have an agreement).

2 Likes

‘Stay ahead’, shall I read ‘catch up’ instead?

2 Likes

And different processors.

1 Like