Competitor Update 2

Timescales will depend on how long regulatory approval of the takeover and transfer of banking license take

1 Like

It was their computer (the antiquated one) sending letters out before payment dates. All very messy, involved them rectifying our credit record as Nationwide showed us defaulting on our mortgages without us knowing, even though we weren’t and in fact in credit as our wages went in in 28th or after, but their letters going out on 26th/27th.

Still makes me hugely angry now.

Anyway, suffice to say I will never bank with them again, and when I can shift our mortgage, that’ll happen to.

Monzo so far is a real breath of fresh air, and a million miles from Nationwide. I like where Monzo are going, and look forward to my CA card soon and maybe a credit card?

3 Likes

Another competitor can only be good for innovation and keeping the new fintechs on their toes.

I can’t think Harrods had the most up to date computer systems. I think of them with quill pens and parchment cheque books!!

I say good luck Tandem. At least Monzo should have a decent head start on them.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like Monzo so much - I think it is great :+1:

Unfortunately they won’t offer anything more than a current account themselves, although they will help you choose a financial product from another broker through the app and let you manage it via Monzo.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m liking Monzo very much.

That’ll do for me, just so long as they’re not from Nationwide!!

I’m sure they won’t be and will be new up and coming companies. Credit cards have seen a resurgence with people wanting Setion 75 protection, and wisely so. Hopefully Monzo will offer one in their marketplace soon.

2 Likes

Also check out Pockit?

Charging fees for foreign payments, fees for rejected DDs (and standing orders apparently), the bullshit “security” where I can’t use a password manager because they only ask for some digits of the passcode (no password, just 6-digit passcode).

If you call that good customer service then I don’t know what to say. Imagine if your internet provider was charging you fees every time you hit a 404 - yet that’s exactly the nonsense Nationwide are pulling by charging fees for rejected DDs/SOs.

Oh and last time I had to do a chargeback with them I called and they were really nice and assured me it would be done - one month later I call back because it hasn’t been and they told me that my first request didn’t work as the transaction wasn’t yet settled - why did you f’ing tell me the first time that it would be done then? The second time they asked me to send the proof of purchase to an email address… got a e-mail back from postmaster saying their mailbox as full. :joy:

2 Likes

Isn’t going down to well with on that ‘tiny challenger bank’ forum :rofl:

4 Likes

Especially the day after more debit card down time!

1 Like

Although two payment options to nil…

Ouch.

20 characters!

2 Likes

So tiny there aren’t even enough characters to post the message. :joy:

The Italian bank Fineco, owned by Unicredit has come to the UK.

1. Multicurrency accounts (GBP, EUR, CHF and USD) with free transfers between currencies.
  2. GBP and EUR Visa debit cards with PayWave.
  3. Standing Order support.
  4. BACS Direct Debit support.
  5. Curve card friendly.
  6. BACS Credits, SWIFT and SEPA etc supported.

Use code UK6868411 with this link before 16 Nov 2017 to get 100 Free trades on stocks, shares etc trading through their PowerDesk app https://finecobank.com/uk/online/mgm.html?wtk=Own.SitoUk.Mgm.Fineco.Fineco.Box.LogOut.Brand.Ottobre.2017

PS: this is not my personal referal link or code and I get no benefit if you join

7 Likes

That URL is so legacy I can almost smell the rust.

4 Likes

N26 coming to UK early 2018.

I have no intention to move away from Monzo, but I had to chip in…

N26 assure everyone they have 100,000 euro cover from their European Banking licence, and they’re arriving in the UK next year…during Brexit…where a Euro banking license won’t mean squat anymore.

Right?

Brexit isn’t until end of March 2019.

1 Like

Be interested to see if they release there black card.

1 Like

After leaving EU doest mean leaving world UK and EU will still need to keep these sort of protections in place imo. And N26 could also go for FSCS protection for UK customers.

4 Likes

Agreed, I guess my point is I certainly wouldn’t jump to join a bank during this phase of change - I’m sure they could probably arrange FSCS protection but until that is set in stone I wonder if a lot of people will hold off/go elsewhere?