Competitor Update 2

They can barely get the current accounts operating properly, and they’re already looking to provide business accounts?

1 Like

Seems they’re only going to be doing it for businesses that are a ‘side hustle’ - smaller ones that most likely won’t take up too much capacity on Starling’s end…

You’re right though, it’s a big leap when they’re still having so many personal account glitches

I was going to join the Starling community to ask some questions about the business account, but they still refuse to change their community login options, and I refuse to use my one and only social account to link up to them. Ridiculous. What’s wrong with using an email address login like :monzo:?

4 Likes

I use twitter as that is a spam email

I’m loathe to use Twitter/Facebook as a login for other sites. I know it’s meant to make things quicker etc, but I’m overly cautious about Facebook discovering my cake-buying habits and then targeting me with cake ads, sending me into a spiral of cake buying excess. IYSWIM. You know that’s their end game… :wink:

Hmm, maybe I can create a dummy twitter account for the purpose. Seems like a lot of effort, but it might be my only option at this point.

2 Likes

just go to mail.com make an account and then sign up to twitter

2 Likes

or create a github account - can have as many of those as you like

1 Like

I think, to be fair to Starling, their current account does work. If you want a very basic current account, that is.

As I understand it, the app is in beta, though this is less than clear. I sense that Starling is already trying to have their cake and eat it by marketing it as an alternative, credible alternative to legacy bank accounts.

Lots of Starling customers absolutely love the app. Some are evangelical and very dismissive of any constructive criticism. And that’s fine. I, for one, prefer to take an objective approach.

Starling is ahead of Monzo, understandably so. Starling, as a solution, is not yet as good as First Direct or RBS (by way of example, as I use those).

For Monzo and Starling to be a credible alternative to legacy banks, they need to be remarkably better. They need to wow my father, for instance. He has to see why they’re better for him; what benefits do they bring him. It will be the same for many customers who don’t care about the technology, they just care about how it will make their life easier, what benefit it brings.

Starling’s announcement to move into business bank accounts may be little more than an attempt to steal a perceived marketing advantage. Like some others, I’d like to see a vastly improved Starling personal current account before any business account.

…but if you’ve ever banked with Co-op Business Banking then you’ll be longing for the arrival of a Starling Business alternative!

The potential with both Monzo and Starling is there. It will interesting to see how they fare in light of recent HSBC and Barclays developments in personal banking apps.

11 Likes

Same applies here.

I agree with you that neither monzo or starling are yet at the stage I would fully switch from RBS

1 Like

Yep, I think that’s inevitable. Some people take it very personally.

I’m trying both to see what they’re like.

2 Likes

I have to say the Starling app appeals to me more than Monzo, I don’t know what it is, but could be the corporate look?
I am not loving my Monzo CA preview but will hang in and see where it goes!

1 Like

Any other reason you are not loving the CA besides the look ? Personally it’s the opposite, I prefer the Monzo app to Starling’s, if only because I don’t have to swipe a useless circle graph to see my transactions.

1 Like

Lol I really like the “stupid circle graph” it’s really cool

3 Likes

I would like the circle graph if it had transactions for more than one day. I rarely use my card so many times in one day that I need a graph to help me see it broken down.
If the graph was a week or (better yet) you could set your own timescale for it, then I would like it a lot more.
I’m currently looking at both Monzo and Starling apps and I do lean towards Monzo. That said, I’m not on the current account yet so will be interesting to see how I feel once that’s rolled out.

I agree, I use both and lean toward :monzo: Monzo. But Starling have said soon you’ll swipe to see a week and a month on the Pulse graph.

Hi All, not sure this is strictly a legitimate use of this thread but seeing as Monzo still isn’t in a position to help I wondered if anybody could point me in the direct of a pre-paid card service that allows two cards? App based spend tracking is a necessity.

Thanks - D.

Looks like Barclays are jumping on board with letting you manage money from where you like, email I received in regards to my CC this morning

1 Like

Fintech startup Revolut is signing up 40 new business customers every day

1 Like

I have to say… I love my Barclays app. With the addition of some Monzo-esq budgeting features it would be perfect.

I’d like the Barcalys app if

• It was fast
  • I didn’t have to enter my PIN after 5 logins with Touch ID
  • I didn’t have to sign out and then in with a PIN to use Mobile PIN Sentry
  • It was actually fast.
3 Likes