Competitor Update 2

Yer there’s plenty of examples on Twitter of people who’ve found that the MasterCard rate is better in some instances.

And even if it’s not, the difference is marginal anyway.

I checked play store from incognito firefox, using following:

• my own IP address
  • UK IP address that I never used (vpn)
  • Australian IP address
  • French IP address

Order of apps on Play store strongly depends on geographical data. I guess, it’s not so difficult for Monzo to be trending, how many people a day install Barclays or Lloyds app, and how many people recently HAD to download Monzo app? :wink:

For UK IPs, Monzo was third:

France, somehow making it to the first page, but really far down:

For Australia… no Monzo, surprise, surprise! :smiley:

4 Likes

3rd for me… Lloyds then Barclays then :monzo:

Fourth for me (the first one is an ad though).

IMG_7355

Well that’s an untrue graph right now. I’m all for encouraging competition, but at best this is misleading and at worst…

Right now on Monzo I’d get $1360.21 and on the Interbank/Revolut rate it’d be $1349.49

12 Likes

Monese have updated their app to be multilingual with options for menus etc in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Portuguese and English.

Maybe Late to the party but revolut have got some crypto metrics. Exchange rates for ethereum bitcoin and litecoin IMG_0661

1 Like

That’s what they posting on there Linkedln
Page.

Looks like Starling are planning another round of fundraising to cover the cost of user’s foreign ATM withdrawals fund their planned international expansion -

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Starling Feedback

Thats interesting, interesting to note that they are porting to Ireland to give them a post-brexit EU base.

Monzo from my recollection have said they are waiting to see the implication of brexit on their ability to passport their UK banking license, Is doing similar with Ireland (an English speaking, culturally and legally similar current and future EU member state) actively on their radar as well? and would anyone hazard to guess at the complexity and cost of such a move compared to starting from scratch like they did here.

Enjoying the strikethrough :smiley:

1 Like

Random but cool - it looks like Tom’s off to visit the French PM soon -

Nina’s screenshots (attached to her tweets) are from the below (since edited) news story which suggests that this is a separate venture from the FDP. So the team’s getting really involved in lobbying related to Brexit here :+1:

https://www.thememo.com/2017/09/25/londons-tech-elite-discuss-brexit-britain-with-french-pm/

2 Likes

Mentions Monzo which links to this story

3 Likes

No mention of Starling in TNW article. Does Starling not use GPS for payment processing?

Yes they do - probably just an oversight on the writer’s part given how popular (:joy:) Starling is.

1 Like

the article doesnt mention how the write was left broke

3 Likes

I suppose they mean that if it were to go down and you had no other payment card then you would ‘broke’?? Bit of an unfair clickbait I think…

1 Like

The second article cites tweets from 5 March 2017. I think this is around the same time the Starling app launched.

Monzo’s been nominated for Bank of the Year at the City AM awards :slight_smile:

http://www.cityam.com/awards/categories/bank-of-the-year

6 Likes