Collected thoughts on card design

The chip utterly ruins what would’ve been a nice card design, IMHO.

Also, how are curve still a thing?

7 Likes

Totally agree. I hate the chip that Curve uses.

4 Likes

Haha I very much doubt they’ll last forever.

As for the chip, revolut used to have similar.

I’m sure another bank had the same type but can’t recall who it was.

4 Likes

Crypto.com cards have the same fugly chip too

2 Likes

MrsW just got an unannounced Barclaycard Platinum card replacement. This photo doesn’t do it justice at all - it is GORGEOUS in real life. Light silver, shiny/black logo, shiny/silver ‘Platinum’ and extra shiny/silver ‘VISA’

11 Likes

Is that glitter I can see? @ndrw will love it. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Granny Glitter.

5 Likes

I have seen a few now in real life and look like a metal card at a quick glance, a very nice card.

3 Likes

I got mine the other day, too, and I don’t like it. The granny-glittery shiny effect makes it look cheap and old fashioned. It reminds me of the TSB Trustcard I had in about 1980, which was similar. It also attracts dust and dirt very easily and you have to wipe the card every time you use it.

The logo and writing on the front are printed onto the card and are slightly raised, so they could easily get chipped or scratched off in time. Mine is currently perfect, but a friend of mine has the same card and his arrived with the Barclaycard logo already slightly chipped.

1 Like

The reason for that is they wanted to show that Mastercard is still front and centre on their cards.

That only I guess applies to the image on Google and Apple Pay.

It was what I was told by the Community Manager when I asked.

People still use them.

Silver is one of those colours where I can tolerate metallic finishes. It’s the weird desaturated pastel colours I can’t stand

5 Likes

Copper would look nice :drooling_face:

2 Likes

My replacement Monese (white, £GBP version) has arrived, and it’s no longer spot varnished. Monese must be tightening its belt.

Oooo… copper sounds lovely actually.

1 Like

Hmm, some thoughts.

There’s obviously been some cost savings, which sadly do impact on the feeling of Monese being a quality company. It now comes across as being a bit ‘budget’.

The edges of the card are no longer blue, and indeed the blue of the logo and wordmarque is now just regular (boring) navy, as opposed to the rather lovely aqua. As mentioned, there is no spot varnishing (although this, despite being premium, was a poor way of distinguish between currencies). The wordmarque itself has been redesigned in a new font, and again feels just standard, rather than exquisite.

The reverse of the card has slightly clearer numbers and information, also presented in portrait.

In all, it feels a little bit like someone lost the designers’ notes on the way to the manufacturer, and recreated what the Monese card was like, from memory.

1 Like

Ugh. That wordmarque :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

My original card was light blue, and then this one being white I don’t see a great difference. I did only sign up late this year so probs had a much newer card.

2 Likes

Oh, so you got a blue paid card instead of a white one too? Interesting, I thought they just made a mistake with mine!

Yeah I’ve never paid for the account and assumed it was the right one. Maybe they ran out of stock :sweat_smile:

3 Likes