Collected thoughts on card design

Yeah it won’t make much of a difference for purchases closer to home but it makes a difference in other places like Canada and the US.

https://www.mastercard.ca/content/dam/mccom/en-ca/Documents/English%20-%201-August-2020.pdf Just for example, a UK issuer would earn at least 0.25% extra on a World MasterCard purchase in Canada and 0.38% extra on a World Elite Card. And on card present transactions a World card would earn 0.75% more and a World Elite would earn 0.88% more.

When you’re talking millions of pounds in transactions, it’ll all add up for Starling.

1 Like

Interesting card from Santander in Mexico Santander is launching the first numberless credit card in Mexico (cardsinternational.com)

1 Like

Interesting that they combine the numberless aspect with a dynamic CCV (clearly easier to do when the CCV is saved in an app, rather than on the card).

I’ve always thought we are likely to end up with that solution, rather than the e-ink display built in to a card which Gemalto were trailing a few years ago.

1 Like

I think Santander UK could have changed their card a bit more with their current change to MasterCard to feature some of these features. As far as I’m aware, the new MasterCard still has all the standard details on it, however, the issue in the case might be the app. Whilst the app works really well with what it has, it doesn’t have a lot of features.

1 Like

Yes, it is the same as the Visa cards used to be.

However, for Mastercards only, they have added card controls to the app - so clearly work is ongoing in that area. It seems like they pushed out the first iteration of the card while focusing on making sure the changeover was smooth. Once everyone has a Mastercard, they will be able to gradually start building on more features.

1 Like

They do seem to be improving their app, slowly but carefully. The card controls are defintely useful so I’m glad they used this opportunity to bring them in.

1 Like

Exactly.

I also think there was a strategic element of planning the changeover in a way that didn’t alarm customers - so being able to say “here’s your new Mastercard, it’s just like your old Visa” as a reassuring move, rather than releasing new cards with loads of bells and whistles all at once.

2 Likes

Good point. Some people really don’t like change and I have seen people complain about the Virgin Money rebranding simply because the bank will no longer be called “Clydesale Bank” and “Yorkshire Bank”, despite basically everything being the same.

1 Like

I just got the new Santander Mastercard in the post and it does look really good. It looks quite stylish (if that is the right word?) and still very simple. Although it does use the old Mastercard logo (the one that has the word Mastercard under the circles).

1 Like