Collected thoughts on card design

I have seen one in person but my own is an older one.

I think the colour is the same and the text has just been added.

Oh well - I was hoping they’d changed the design as I think it is one of the worst-designed UK cards out there currently. There is just not enough contrast, and the shiny finish makes me think of my mum’s car!

In other news, the Santander Zero card seems to have been pulled: Credit cards | Santander UK

I wonder if it was no longer profitable to offer 0% fx fees on a free card? Shame, as I liked the design (I know…)

1 Like

The Santander Zero card design must be pretty rare then.

5 Likes

Santander have pulled it before and brought it back - so it may well reappear.

It was first launched in April 2008 as the Abbey Zero

1 Like

I (nearly) agree! While the Select credit card is a great design, I do prefer the Member Credit Card’s lack of the blue and red around the logo. Moving to that for all the cards would really smarten the design, imo.

2 Likes

It is intriguing that Nationwide hasn’t standardised its cards’ designs.

I am using my intrigued face in my icon.

5 Likes

I do agree with this. The logo design doesn’t make much sense, especially as the logo they are using on most of their cards appears to be an older one.

Previous logo:

Nationwide_logo

New logo:

Nationwide_2016

7 Likes

Oh noes… I was planning to get it, as it supports Garmin Pay. Darnit.

On a somewhat different topic, what do people think of translucent plastic that isn’t just clear? I only recently discovered that one of my credit cards is translucent blue, not opaque as I’d previously thought (it wasn’t a card I used often to begin with so I hadn’t really had any opportunities to hold it up to a light source).

4 Likes

A mastercard issued by barclays in the UK.

Wait these exist. (Visa was in part founded by Bank of Americia and Barclays)

It’s a US-issued card, not U.K., I think.

They issue mastercards for business credit cards.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan as you can see the stuff on the back of the card. It just looks messy.

2 Likes

Amex are really good with it. They hide the bits on the back behind the front design elements on their translucent/transparent cards

2 Likes

Yes, that I’ve noticed. Unfortunately Barclaycard didn’t quite think that through when they came up with this (or maybe that’s why the opacity was relatively higher on this card; I seriously couldn’t tell it was translucent until I held it up to a light source).

It is. (You can see the US customer service number through the other side of the plastic) This was originally marketed as a low-interest low-fee card (when it was first released, it only charged 8% APR on everything, 1% FX fee, US$1 cash advance fee, no balance transfer fee, and the FX fee was eventually scrapped altogether) and I kept it as a backup source of cash while traveling, tucking it away somewhere in my luggage to use in case my wallet was stolen or my other cards were blocked.

1 Like

I searched for Barclaycard Ring and it seems to be a crowdsourced card? As in people’s feedback influences the features it has?

1 Like

Definitely American (well the BIN is anyway)

1 Like

To some degree, it did. There was a community board, like this one but less developed, where people were encouraged to engage with Barclaycard staff and each other to come up with new ideas, with a few things set in stone- I think “no rewards” wasn’t going to change. Some changes in the terms and conditions were also put to a vote- for example, when people mentioned they wished that there wasn’t even the 1% FX fee, it was suggested that to make up for the lost profitability, that the cash advance fee be raised to a fixed US$3 instead and that was put to a vote (no FX fee and higher cash advance fee won). Those were then the terms that applied to new customers going forward. It was a neat idea, to be sure, but then Barclaycard lost interest in all of its own-brand cards in the US, including the Ring, so the “crowd-sourced” aspect isn’t there anymore.

2 Likes

Just picked up a new Tesco Bank Credit Card. Got quite a nice matt black design.

I think depending on what card type you have you can get a different colour - mainly matt blue.

1 Like

I just really find the Tesco logo ageing by this point. Not many companies haven’t updated their logo in so long!

2 Likes