Collected thoughts on card design

Now this is a big step forward for accessibility. Still was never sold on the notch alone. Our focus groups never supported any real benefit, and internally it was always only ever about virtue signalling (at Barclays), but the benefit here is much clearer to see. Well done mastercard.

3 Likes

And better than the awful embossed dots that HSBC and co use. At least there is no need to pull the card out of the wallet (provided card slots are vertical) and feel around on the card. And completely flat cards will fit nicer into card holders

4 Likes

These are gorgeous from Bank of Cyprus:

The edge colours are particularly :heart_eyes_cat: Also, what’s an Internet card? I’ve looked around on the website, but can’t work it out.

10 Likes

My guess is it’s like a pass-card for employees? Basing it purely on the fact it has no logo’s eg Mastercard. Or maybe it has your password and internet banking, shoe size etc on it.

Nice card design btw, really simple

2 Likes

I’m absolutely sure this has been mentioned further up, but looking back at the various Apple Pay options I still think the OG Monzo Hot Coral looks great.

Would be even better if they did hot coral ala plus with everything printed on the back.

2 Likes

HSBC also include a notch as well as the raised dots.

1 Like

But still the ‘old’ notch.

1 Like

MasterCard announced their notches last October.

I have yet to see anyone actually use it…

1 Like

Ajman Bank in UAE is the first bank in the world to roll it out, this month.

Is that not what Santander are using on their new cards? Mine look like this (But in English):
Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 14.53.43

No, under MasterCard’s design rules, debit and credit cards should have different notch designs.

3 Likes

Oh! I see. I didn’t realise they had different styles of notches. So both of these would be ‘debit’ making the credit card design wrong.

2 Likes

From what I can tell online, it was a single bank – NatWest Group – which introduced the first accessible bank card (which was Visa at the time) with the RNIB. That comprised a notch and raised dots on the card surface, along with making the card flat, increasing the size of the printing and ensuring the telephone number wasn’t placed on the back where there might be raised printing.

Now Mastercard has iterated on that concept for a global standard, using different shapes notches for each type of card.

2 Likes

Everyone’s favourite RBS brand have got round to redoing their cards

Good news, as it means the brand is staying

5 Likes

Doesn’t look quite as elegant with the MasterCard logo. Wish they’d used the silver one like Chase.

This card must be very new. Only opened another child and Co account last week and the card was still visa on RBS Premier letterhead.

4 Likes

I agree, it’s not the nicest. I like the colour though! I’m so clumsy, I hope I don’t lose my card! I did so once already :laughing:

4 Likes

Only just got my card as not long opened account but I’m terrible to loosing things lol

3 Likes

Has anyone seen a new black Santander ‘bubbles’ credit card design, either in the wild, or posted by someone who actually has one on another forum?

You’ve probably mentioned somewhere but how did you get a Child and Co account? I thought they closed/stopped accounts?

5 Likes

I’ll message you.

3 Likes