Collected thoughts on card design

Ironically, the Monzo Plus card screams Revolut to me :man_shrugging: A more premium looking option would be excellent to have. I like my wallet to be calming…

I think I’m settling on the view that it’d be nice to have a selection of colours/designs you could choose from. Could also help with joint accounts, too…

Maybe they could start by offering this as an option for Plus customers, then roll it out (quietly) to all customers when stocks of the embossed cards runs out. (I wonder if the non-embossed ones are cheaper? :thinking:)

1 Like

I beleive with Revolut premium there are another two options. Rose and more like a Darker Silver? They’re all pastelly nice colours that would be pleasant on a wall…

Monzo Plus is a lot like Revolut Standard yeah

1 Like

This could be a really good idea! I doubt this will happen by 20th March though sadly so holographic card it is for the time being.

1 Like

This has made me remember this design that did the rounds a while back:

While I’m normally a fan of the understated, this is :heart_eyes:

(Most definitely not my work: credit to Mr Brice Corbin)

10 Likes

I like that…

1 Like

Pretty nice, huh?

(It also lets me repeat my “use the :monzo: Monzo logo more rather the logotype” mantra)

5 Likes

If anyone fancied getting Revolut off the back of the card pics, I have a cheeky link for u…

Say what?

If you feel like getting Revolut after seeing @anon21501491 pics, they can send you a referral link. Which should only go in the wiki

3 Likes

It’s a referral link :joy: excuse the cloak and dagger, I’m trying to avoid my comment getting deleted

1 Like

Ha I think anyone here who wants a Revolut card has probably already got one already.

7 Likes

:cry:

What does your link do btw? Anything in it for the person signing up? :laughing:

The standard Revolut card looks very similar to the Monzo Plus card (at least in pictures)
As I don’t have a Monzo plus card for actual comparison, could anyone who does have both confirm or deny any similarities. (Colour intensity, card quality, etc)

1 Like

The similarities between these cards begin and end with the gradient aesthetic.

Monzo’s gradient is a light blue and dark blue, Revolut’s is a blue and purple one.

The Monzo plus card is very shiny in person, Revolut’s has more of a Matt shimmer, and a tacky feel, whilst the Monzo Plus one is smoother.

The Monzo plus card colour intensity varies significantly depending how the holographic foil refracts the light as it hits it, this can give the colour intensity a very similar hue to that of the Revolut one in some light conditions at some angles.

The Monzo Plus card scratches easier, but it feels more durable than the Revolut card, and I think it looks better. The quality has some imperfections that are not seen on the Revolut cards. Notably a poorly aligned chip, and ink marks on the reverse. Between the two I prefer my Monzo Plus card. It’s up there as one of my all time favourite card designs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info. :+1:

As much as I like the Revolut card aesthetically, I do have to admit it does seem quite a bit more flimsy and slightly lower quality than most of my other cards.

2 Likes

I tested Revolut’s new payment processor RevP, for which I was issued with a new card, a while back and that card seemed slightly better quality and a bit more substantial. Not sure why, they may have used a different manufacturer?

I agree that their Visa cards are usually a bit flimsy, in my experience, although I have never had one break or snap so it’s not a problem in practical terms.

2 Likes

If you still have your old card to compare to, you should be able to check this on the back. Usually in the top right corner.

My Revolut card (the one I’m thinking of when comparing to the Monzo plus card) is one of the newer ones with the Apple Card inspire layout orientation. I do like the card and it’s definitely among my favourites. I much prefer the orientation (chip on the bottom right) too.

1 Like

The card design in the NatWest app has a great little animation now when it’s frozen (incidentally the card controls are much more granular than Monzo) but my point is the card design makes use of a series of red blocks, and it really looks much better than the actual debit card!

Edit: Have found an image. When you freeze the card, the smaller blocks all separately jiggle into the large block, which then drops down to the bottom of the card, and turns blue.

3 Likes

I quite like the blue design actually:

I think NatWest have really made their app quite nice. I haven’t been on it for quite some time.

1 Like