Collected thoughts on card design

As soon as you go into a branch & mention the “M” word, staff give you that look like “the forbidden word😂” they probably all laugh about it now. TSB must’ve thought it was a case of flipping the switch & that’s it done.

It’ll take TSB some years to get to where they want to be but I see they’ve started changing their branding away from the cartoon drawings to a more “‘mature” concept & they’re changing the design of their cards to what looks like Starling “portrait” version. It actually looks nice :laughing:

4 Likes

Ooo are they? Where is this at?

I use TSB and to be honest I like them. I like that the app is fairly simple and easy to use, and (somewhat) has logos for purchases.

It’s by no means perfect and I miss a lot of the things Monzo do, but it works well for me and I’ve never had an issue with their customer service.

7 Likes

Here :wink:

https://www.grupbancsabadell.com/corp/files/1454346867744/201911_tsb_strategic_update_tsb_investor_section_final_pres_-_22.11.pdf

3 Likes

It also looks like the card has the corner cut off…

3 Likes

That would make for an interesting design!

It’s probably just a small cutout similar to the transferwise card though.

2 Likes

Nothing will best the Mint card I had back in the day (though it was only for a balance transfer so stayed in the envelope):
MINT - Welcome to MINT Credit Cards and Insurance

4 Likes

It’s not the corner that’s cut off, it’s just like a little grove for your finger to push/pull the card in/out the reader I think haha

The KFC colonel club card had two corners rounded like that. Makes for a unique shape. I’d like to see more unique card design quirks like that.

1 Like

Looks like a slightly bigger version of the Transferwise notch

5 Likes

It looks very nice!

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s a really sleek and simple looking bank card. Surprising to see that level of design sophistication from a big bank.

2 Likes

I think it’s to help partially sighted customers to easily tell which way up it is.

16 Likes

Didn’t even think of that! That’s good too!

Random question but does the Starling card have any way for people that have sight problems to know which way they are meant to be inserting their card? I know TSB and Virgin Money (and I think NatWest) has a notch on the side of their card which helps.

No it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Any ideas why? You’d think this would be quite important.

:woman_shrugging:

Most cards didn’t have one until recently. Maybe V3 card will

2 Likes

You’d hope it’ll become part of the international standard for bank cards.

2 Likes

I don’t know why they didn’t do the notch, like Transferwise and others

2 Likes

It seems to be a fairly recent thing.

The first card that I had with it on was Transferwise, about 3 years ago.

I think RBS did launch a special new Holt’s Military Banking card with it in about 2016 though, so that may have been the first?

It then spread to the whole RBS/NatWest portfolio of cards, before being picked up by others like Virgin Money and TSB.

4 Likes