Coffee ☕

I have an Aergrind, though the model I have isn’t sold any more as the maker has recently refreshed their designs:

Fits nicely in an Aeropress.

3 Likes

Yeah, I love my Aergrind. Use it daily, have done for years.

Gave the hand grinder a miss, but I’m officially back in the coffee game! :muscle:

Back of a spreadsheet calc indicates that it’ll take me and the Mrs six months to make the money back in coffee savings.

1 Like

Enjoy, will be interesting to see what you think of bambino, I struggle sometimes with sour shots from it.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s the same as the Barista Express I used to have (but without the grinder).

TBH I’m expecting the Bambino to be more than good enough. Down the road I’d love to get a Niche Zero, which I imagine would make far more of a difference than a better machine.

1 Like

Just got one of these

I thought it was maybe a bit pricey, but very impressed now I’ve got it. I have to use quite a lot of lung force to blow out the puck of coffee into the bin!

Overall, I think it’ll save money, as a bag of coffee goes much further with this than my aeropress

2 Likes

I know there are a few aeropress fans on here as well as instant coffee drinkers wanting to “make the switch”…

This looks a good deal and will get you into the wonderful world of fresh coffee :coffee:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/aeropress-coffee-maker-350-filters-250g-fresh-roasted-coffee-ps2545-delivered-with-newsletter-sign-up-at-rave-coffee-4013287

2 Likes

Oh god that apostrophe.

And a capital F :weary:

2 Likes

I can’t remember if If I put this in here but earlier this year I bought a melitta espresso machine.

It has turned out to be the best investment I could have made. Honestly I rarely buy coffee out now and it’s amazing how all those little purchases add up.

2 Likes

How you getting on with the bambino?

I returned it.

It was too small and flimsy. Just putting the portafilter in and out would move the whole damn machine. Was very annoying.

Not sure what’s happened to Sage’s quality too. The portafilters used to be stainless steel but this was horrible plastic and aluminium. Had no heft at all to it.

The grinder was also plasticky crap. Only had one second increments for time and was so messy that it expended grounds everywhere.

The Barista Express was a much nicer machine.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of selling my bambino and upgrading, or back to aeropress. smart grinder pro seems ok to me, might keep it.

1 Like

I think the Pro is a lot better. The Dose Control is garbage. Couldn’t believe it was £150 on sale!

TBF, the actually espresso was very decent and the machine was very fast to heat up. Milk frothing was also great.

1 Like

Yes the bambino is capable, in right hands, I struggle with sour shots some times, hands up its user error probably, newbie to espresso machines. Also from what I read they don’t like lighter roasts, so stick to dark is best.

Haven’t used a Sage grinder myself, but how much of this mess could have been from static cling which affects all grinders? I have a Wilfa Svart myself, and for ages it was absolutely fine; then I must have done something to pass a charge to it somehow, as it suddenly went crazy mad with particles clinging to it all over and up the side of the grinder.

It’s better again now after a bit of experimentation with cleaning and earthing. But to some degree or other, there will always be a mess problem.

I know James Hoffmann gives his beans a little spritz of water before grinding to combat against this, but I’m wary of introducing water into a grinder myself (I’m not James Hoffmann, I can’t afford to just go out and buy another grinder if it rusts up or seizes from too much water being introduced over time :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

Anyone have a favourite coffee cup? I was going to try one of these: https://toplcup.com/ possibly in Monzo coral!

1 Like

I prefer glass and just use a Keep Cup.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have one of these, actually in Monzo coral colour (though not intentionally Monzo…)

I love Chilly’s generally, also have a water bottle. Super customisable and they have some really amazing designs. Particularly enjoying their recent collaboration with an East London design company.

2 Likes

I don’t like the way stainless steel affects the flavour of the coffee, so I was very happy to find the Frank Green ceramic coated flask. I have the 10oz but they make a larger size too.

Really like the lid which is no spill but you can still drink from.

3 Likes