Closed my Monzo account because someone knew my details now Monzo won’t let me re open?

Phone and email are your only options for getting this resolved. Just keep trying.

Someone knew your details > Did you fall for that free money on Snapchat or Instagram? If you did you’ll have a cifas marker for fraud as that’s what you have committed if you did fall for this > This will make it near enough impossible to get any bank account until it’s over.

Hopefully it isn’t this and you didn’t become a money mule, I would just email the Monzo team like others has said as it could just be because you closed it

Rather random, if you re-open a Monzo account, you keep the same account number so far as I know, does this mean your customer number remains the same too? (The one that shows you how… ahem, old, you are in Monzo terms).

no it wasn’t a bank scam etc ( tbh I find it insulting when these bank scammers want to discuss all details over email whatsapp etc where it can be traced ?? ) plus i have theee other bank accounts still active and experian score is near perfect atm nothing on my name

thanks

Your credit score wouldn’t initially be affected so that isn’t a true reflection of things.

If account access was harmless (well as harmless as breaching T&Cs can be), then the worst that could happen is Monzo finding out and refusing to offer you an account again as you were in breach of their Account Terms

If there was more going on and funds have been moved through the account, then you might be at risk of ending up with a Cat6 marker and super limited access to the financial market for 6 years. If that is the case, other accounts may also get closed as banks are notified.

I don’t want to scare you, I’m just trying to set out all possible scenarios as we only have limited information available and can only guess what happened.

Best bet is to email or call Monzo to ask why they can’t offer you another account (if you tried) or whether they can (if you haven’t yet; but based on what you said further up suggests that they have already rejected a subsequent application). They might not say more than the message already did as legally they might not be able to.

Then, if you suspect that things might have gone on with your account, submit a Subject Access Request to Cifas to see what happened. Any records can take a while to show up and you’re limited in how frequently you can submit one so you might want to wait a bit before doing this

Hi, two months ago but I got my Monzo account back now. Just waiting on my card. Customer Service was hard to get a hold of, it’s only last month that I managed to get through to someone

Your credit score wouldn’t initially be affected so that isn’t a true reflection of things.

If account access was harmless (well as harmless as breaching T&Cs can be), then the worst that could happen is Monzo finding out and refusing to offer you an account again as you were in breach of their Account Terms

The person who had my details didn’t put any money in, as I think I’ve said on this thread already. There was no fraud/squaring/bank scam etc. I know the person. I still had access to my account on the Monzo app on my side. They never put anything in at all, the only money that went in wasn’t a lot but little bits of money I put in transferred from my other account ( this account was linked as ’ payee/other bank ’ on the Monzo App at the time) and little bits of money that was transferred from a friend’s Monzo’s account. Any time money was put in my Monzo account, I don’t think more than £15 per transaction and I hardly used my account anyway.

My credit score has gone higher this month. Tbh it was just a case of Customer Service being terrible because of Coronavirus, personally still waiting for the doctor to call me back for an appointment that I arranged in May!

Thank you all anyway.

3 Likes

Don’t know tbh

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.