Cisco IP Phone

Well this is the problem :wink:

I know but there must be a way round that no?

Maybe your office has a contract and your IT people can get the files for you?

Other less official ways aren’t really appropriate to discuss on a public forum.

Snom?

Always had Snom phones. No issues with updates. I thought they were good phones. Munch better than many.

Funnily enough that’s what I do now. SIP client on iPhone. :grinning:

1 Like

The Android dialer has a built in handler for SIP stuff. Not sure how well it works and listening for inbound calls is quite battery intensive.

SIP inbound on mobiles is pretty battery intensive yeah… Bria used to reduce the battery life of my phone by 30% just by staying active.

What I do is get my provider to forward to my mobile number, and have SIP as outbound and home phones only.

1 Like

Ok so I found this

says to configure windows IP however it then goes on to say about sudo commands and var/ folders but they are mac/linux how is this possible when the tftpd program is also an exe??

mono/wine maybe?

Nah I just installed it on WIN7

1 Like

this is such a geek out thread

2 Likes

Seems easier…

https://www.ukvoipforums.com/downloads/cisco-7900-series.html

Monzo is pretty much a bank-nerd forum though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Most of it is due to the limitations of the shit mobile networks we’ve got here as well as some (bad) SIP providers only support SIP over UDP instead of TCP.

If the mobile network provided a static publicly-routable IP (IPv6 would be even better) there wouldn’t be a need for the client to frequently “refresh” the registration nor to send keep-alive. The lack of TCP support means client apps (on iOS at least) have to stay in background and maintain the connection via keep-alive packets instead of delegating the TCP connection to the OS (which allows the app to “sleep” and be woken up by the OS if a packet is received on that connection).

1 Like

So I setup the TFTP server and downloaded some firmware although, the phone connects to the TFTP so now I just gotta get the software over to it.

This however does imply you have it working…? :smiley:

I have no idea as the handset screen stays blank so it’s looking for something just don’t know what.

I think the TFTP needs to be adjusted in terms of file location and maybe the firmware might be wrong or it’s missing the xml either way it connects to that’s a start.

1 Like

A lot of iOS SIP apps get around this by offering an option to act as an intermediary. They will then register with your SIP server on your behalf. When a call comes in they send a notification via Apple’s battery-efficient push service that wakes up the SIP app to receive the call.

I use Acrobits Softphone (because i had a licence from around 2010. If i was buying now i’d probably go with Groundwire) and it works well. Ideally i’d like to eventually move to away from SIP and bridge a number to Wire or Matrix (using Riot).

1 Like

I use Groundwire. It’s very good. No problems at all.

Bria does this as well since a few months ago, but still it’s just a workaround - the real solution would be to have decent mobile networks.

Anyone?

Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:1B:2A:20:6B:D6 [19/10 21:03:47.128]
Client requested address 192.168.0.39 which was not allocated by tftpd32 and is either outside our pool or is used by someone else [19/10 21:03:47.128]