Chip and pin declined after £100; too low with coronavirus

How does this relate to the topic? It seems to say it was delayed (I have only skimmed it for now)? Was it only parts of the legislation which were delayed?

Only SCA for online transactions was delayed. SCA rules for in-person transactions went into force on schedule on 14th September 2019.

19 Likes

thanks for coming on to explain this Thomas and give us your knowledge , sometimes it probably feels “safer” to stay off the community forum for most staff :+1:

15 Likes

What was the actual technical reasons for the £100 again, was it card manufacturing? Afaik all the banks went with ~£135, but Monzo was the only one to say “well you can do £30 offline so we’ll say £105 and then knock off another £5 for rounding, call it £100”

No other bank to date made any allowances for offline, so were Monzo being too conservative in their interpretation of the rules?

We’ve had this discussion before. Nothing I say satisfies you, I don’t see any point discussing it again.

5 Likes

Don’t take it personally, unless you made the call to make it £100.

You seem to shrug it off as a personal attack, rather than answer.

As far as I remember last time you answered me you were sour that I pointed out that none of the legacy banks had yet implemented the SCA which was true at the time. They had just made it aware publicly that they knew this is the way it will work.

You of course don’t need to answer me, I’m just asking out of curiosity.

Like I said it was discussed at length between you, my colleagues and myself here.

I don’t see the point in re-covering old ground.

1 Like

Fair enough. I don’t see you actually answered me looking back in that thread. It might be in there, it’s a lot of posts to wade through.
Anyway I was simply asking if Monzo had revisited the decision to go with £100, and had plans to increase either to the £135 or go Starling and match the £225?

In these times it seems like a good thing to be doing is upping it to £225. Whilst you can reset in app at the point of it hitting it, I’m guessing most won’t do it that way. Has it been revisited in resetting anytime in app, before you’re at the terminal, like R did?

No you weren’t.

Anyway, as @thomas said, you’ve had all of this information before, and this thread is becoming circular. Let’s leave it there.

How about that’s the question then, and help answer new things or unlock that thread? That thread was locked when it was still just Monzo, Starling and a couple other fintechs had implemented it. Now that it’s starting to become an issue now that legacies have caught up and we have this thing called covid-19 I would say that warrants new discussion.

You don’t need to be defending Monzo or thomas here, and I’m fully aware he’s using his own time to come into this thread and he can choose to ignore me if he wants. I’ve got nothing against him, but I seemed to have pissed him off when I had no intention of doing that.

Limit is low regardless of these times, as we want to reduce pin touches does Monzo have any intention of helping this out? To me they seem too fixated on following the rules to the letter, and it can’t just be about risking your banking license or Starling wouldn’t be doing it by thinking outside the box like Monzo used to do.

I don’t think Ive ever hit my limits :man_shrugging: for me its not low , in relation to Starling its lower, all this discussion is typical of the forum that for some the limit is too low for them personally , and so they come on to the community , which is fine , a different viewpoint is good , and say if its too low for me everybody must be affected in the same was as I am …they aren’t , some are ,but not necessarily , in fact probably not the majority of users.

It happens so often in so many threads recently that because this or that is important to me and a few other users , it must be important to every user. Monzo , rightly or wrongly encourage this “discussion” it mostly turns out to be a stick to beat Monzo with especially at the moment when we are all tetchy and frustrated and in the dark to our future.

1 Like

At this point in time it’s all about getting fingers off terminals. Not everyone uses Google/Apple pay, and as demonstrated its not clear you can reset at the point of hitting the limit on your phone. As mentioned above R had a way to reset at anytime but I don’t think Monzo wanted to push it due to being worried about their license rather than pushing the boundaries.

I was in Sainsburys today my bill was 198 quid I had to put my PIN in on the POS terminal , the limit being £100 makes not one jot of difference, I was at sainsburys petrol station the day before the bill was 12quid odd they didn’t want people in the shop , I put my PIN in , again the limit made entirely no difference

2 Likes

Yeah but we’re talking tapping with multiple transactions under £45? Sure if you need to make a transaction over £45 you’ll need to type in your PIN (or use a phone to tap).

but Im talking about bills in sainsbury’s where I have to put my PIN in whatever the limit is , Ive now reset my limit. we all have different views of what is or isn’t low , high , necessary , required , etc etc, its not fact just because 10 , 5 or 50 people on the forum say it is right / wrong

That is out of Monzos hands though, and the same regardless of bank. We can only ask them to change the things they can, like the contactless limit where they come up with their own interpretation of the guidelines.

yes when a vast majority ask …yes great … how many have asked for it though ? Im quite happy with £100 :man_shrugging:

That no one knows, well other than say Monzo stats peeps who should be able to say if they want to make it public. As customers we can only make assumptions. For one person it could be fine, another three taps and you’re being asked unnecessarily for a PIN.

yes but the assumptions almost seem to take on the gospel , if its affecting me and a few others it must be affecting everybody right ?

The only thing I can say is the fewer PINs entered the better. Between 1 and 4,146,440 are being affected by it from a inconvenience pov, but obviously the more touching helps spread it.

In my opinion the EBA / FCA should have pulled the plug on it, as least for three months.

2 Likes