✅ Cheque Imaging 📱

Hi Johnny, I think this will take another generation. That’s at least 20 years…one of my agendas by posting this was that there are many millions of potential Monzo customers “out there” just like myself :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: I’ve now managed to find the other major cheque refs thanks to Ali’s link. The future of cheques is definitely different to the past but they will not go away yet :ghost:

I’m 31, and I still use cheques on a regular enough basis that despite using Monzo as my main account I would need to continue banking with a legacy bank to both cash and write cheques.

I live in a rural area, where I get my milk delivered, my windows cleaned and a few other services where the preferred payment is by cheque. I write 2-3 cheques a month.

I also receive payments from a couple of different sources via cheque. Occasionally from my work for expenses, from my parents and grandparents at different times of the year. I also still seem to get refunds from utility companies via cheque, despite paying by direct debit every month.

I don’t use cheques as frequently as I used to, but I would argue that it is still an important banking service. To discount it as an old technology simply because you don’t use it anymore is lacking in empathy. Monzo may be a bank of the future, but they are a bank and cheques are part of that. If they want to truly be better than a legacy bank then they need to offer the basic banking services they do and more. Cheques are a very basic form of payment that many people rely on. Monzo say they want to be open to everybody, not accepting cheques or having a facility to issue cheques is a hurdle for lots of people.

2 Likes

It’s nothing to do with empathy and everything to do with it being and antiquated technology.

I understand that some people still use cheques. Contactless payments, for example, have taken a full ten years for customers to understand and embrace. Cheques are in decline and banks should be nudging people towards using modern payment methods. It’s not an overnight thing, though, cheques are here to stay for a while.

2 Likes

Cheques really are an antiquated technology and that’s why there was a big push a few years ago to get rid of them for good, which unfortunrtly wasn’t successful.

I don’t think Monzo should embrace cheques because there are far better payment methods.

All those people who you write cheques to will have a bank account that you can pay instantly by bank transfer. It’s strange how they would rather wait a few days for payment instead.

The same goes for receiving payments there is no reason why they can pay by bank transfer.

5 Likes

There is technically no reason but you cannot always force other people to change their behaviour.
If it’s an employer you cannot just change jobs because they refuse to update their payroll department and telling them how they should pay you may not go down too well

I’m not clear as to whether anyone here is saying they’re paid by their employer by cheque or whether they’re just theorising? :thinking:

Not scientific, by any stretch of the imagination, but let’s have a virtual show of hands to see how people get paid.

By what means are you paid by your employer / pension / bursary / grant / sugar-daddy / other?

• Cash
  • Cheque
  • Bank Transfer

0 voters

my milkman only accepts direct debit or recurring debit card authorizations, they stopped cheques when the cheque card scheme ended.

Without the cheque card backing it up a cheque is about as trustworthy as an IOU on a beer mat

3 Likes

That’s the reason why I thought it was good when they finally announced the end of cheques. Unfortunetly pressure from groups stuck in the past stopped that from happening.

2 Likes

How about adding a “combination of the above” option?
I don’t know about others but I have a few different jobs and get paid differently.

How do you get paid?

By all 3, but mainly bank transfers and cash

Alas, it won’t permit me to add another option for a combination of these. You’ll have to choose one.

Then I’ll abstain, but thanks for trying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The fact that image shows an iPhone 3GS photographing a cheque speak volumes. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Source: http://skinoutfit.info/else/mobile-banking.coming / http://bigpictures.club/resize.php?img=http://mediasalestoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mobilebanking.jpg

You too could use this image…

That’s stock photography for you :roll_eyes:

The photo has been altered, in part to disguise the phone make and model (they’ve removed the cutout for the phone speaker, I think). Also the guy’s thumb on the cheque is at a different angle to his thumb on the phone screen.

1 Like

Good spot. Just shows you can’t believe what you see in the papers let alone not being able to believe what you read. :grimacing:

It is interesting from that Telegraph article that 237 million cheques are forecast to be cashed in 2025!

I presume they just plotted it on a graph, but it’s hard to predict… cheque imaging could cause the number used to increase (because you can deposit one from a phone, so it’s much less hassle) or it may cause it to drop off a cliff (because large companies insist on sending cheques are mostly using it to keep the money in their accounts longer… once clearance is under 24 hours they lose most of that).