✅ Cheque Imaging 📱

Overseas banks have the ability that you take a photograph of the check or any payment you received and that is credited into your account . Will Mondo have that feature?

30 Likes

That sounds like a fraud prevention nightmare! Can you name any banks in particular that offer this service? I assume you still send the cheque in afterwards but this is just to speed up the process.

2 Likes

Almost all banks in the US offer this, and nope you don’t need to provide the actual cheque either. I’d imagine that there are systems in place to prevent double-depositing them also.

7 Likes

I seem to recall Barclays here in the UK offer that facility via their mobile banking app. I don’t bank with Barclays myself so maybe somebody else can confirm that…?

4 Likes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30343678

3 Likes

My bank in Dubai allows me to deposit cheques via picture

Emirates NBD

Take pic and it’s done, no need to enter branch.

I don’t accept them though so I have never used it

2 Likes

Can’t see this being a huge problem. Each cheque has a cheque number so it would flag up if it was put through the system twice. I do remember when it was reported by BBC News that it was coming, but as far as I’m aware it never materialised.

1 Like

It’s on it’s way in the next year.

http://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/cheque-users/businesses/cheque-imaging/about-cheque-imaging

1 Like

That is actually weirdly exciting…

3 Likes

Apart from business cheques who actually uses them though?

Lat time I had a cheque book was 15 odd years ago and the last time I needed a cheque was for DVLA and MetroBank printed me off 4 there and then.

3 Likes

Birthday money :laughing:

14 Likes

@anon72173902 printing a few could be an idea maybe for places - usually always government or outdated places that require cheques.

Taking a picture to pay in would be great for places which still insist on paying out in cheques.

Ah, cheque clearing - underpinned by legislation nearly as old as some of the legacy banks themselves :wink:
1882 Billis of Exchange Act
1957 Cheques Act
1992 Cheques Act
2015 Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act

Did you know that the law doesn’t prescribed the form of a cheque, custom and practice have led to the cheques we all love/hat - by law you can write your cheque on the side of a :bus: and pay it in. I’d love to see the face on the teller :open_mouth: when you pulled that out your bag!

15 Likes

a cheque has been written on the side of a cow before!

1 Like

A :cow: or a :bus: - they all count in law!

1 Like

I’ve seen the photographing a cheque thing before but I never realised you don’t actually need to deposit the cheque.

That’s clever!

just came across this from 2013…

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-proposals-to-make-cheque-depositing-easier-and-quicker-to-be-unveiled

In the USA it’s a Federal crime to bounce a cheque. So this is probably why it’s available. It’s also a Federal Crime to "write a cheque without the funds to honour it. A cheque in the US is as good a cash normally. No Guarantee card needed. …

Yep Barclays was trialling this via it’s mobile app. But it had to be a Barclays cheque.

2 Likes

What, one of those new fivers?

:laughing:

10 Likes