Chase Bank UK chat

Absolutely this. Doubt they will at first but once word of mouth slows down, they can spend big money to acquire customers for sure.

4 Likes

How successful will this have to be to be seen as a success? I feel as if the numbers can be a bit lower than Starling and Monzo as this is already an established company but then I feel you would expect this to be able to get more customers because of this and because they will have more money.

2 Likes

My benchmark is that if they haven’t got a large enough customer base to feature in the Personal Banking Service Quality Survey (the IPSOS Mori one) within 2 years of launch then it’s failed.

That’s a big ask, but you can’t afford to be a new entry at this stage unless you are going to make a significant and rapid impact.

6 Likes

Not sure if it is hard to achieve that. Given that lots of savy people have every account out there.

It’s not like one has to fight for exclusivity of bank account usage.

2 Likes

I would say the big hurdle they have is trust. Common sense would suggest that given the size and scope of JMPC they’d be more trustworthy than British banks, but people don’t use common sense. The neobanks have found how tough it is to get people to trust them, and this hasn’t been helped by the likes of Northern Rock, Halifax, Coop bank etc in ‘08 needing to be rescued from impending insolvency. If they’re with one of the big 4 and they’re vaguely comfortable it will take something pretty major to get them to move, and that’s not to some yank character they don’t know or trust, that’s to another British name they know and understand, it would have to be something even more dramatic to get them to go to a new bank from abroad, even if you and I and anyone sensible knows the history, scope and importance of JPM.

People are weird, they may rush to it like crazy as their saviour from the UK banks, or it might die in a calamitous way having never obtained the scale they need to make it viable. Marcus did well but then savers are so desperate for interest they’ll go wherever, I don’t know if current account holders are so easily swayed. We shall see.

6 Likes

Very interesting analysis, I agree.

The difference between rate-chasing savers and more apathetic current account holders is probably significant, you’re right.

I do think some people will try them just out of interest, but that’s likely to be a low number. They will need something to woo people across them, and it’s got to be more significant than a 24 hour call centre in Scotland.

I expect most of their customers will come from big banks, not other fintechs, and this is who they will be targeting (and need to target, as other fintechs aren’t a big enough customer base). Practically, this will mean getting into a big marketing push and trying to tempt people who haven’t tried any neobank before. It will be an uphill battle for them, but I don’t think it will be impossible.

4 Likes

Not sure I agree with this.

Many/Most (?) people won’t have heard of Chase in this country and US banks or JPMC don’t necessarily have an unblemished record nor would they be seen as more trustworthy then British institutions

4 Likes

I think that was trustworthy in a too-big-to-fail sense.

Given that a large US bank is much larger than a large British bank, some would suggest it’s even less likely to fail (and you would have full FSCS protection anyway because you bank with a U.K. subsidiary).

I’m not sure that would track onto the logic of the average British person “in the street”, though. Especially if they had never heard of JP Morgan before!

3 Likes

I wonder why credit cards are not working out for challenger banks.

Tandem credit card failed. Jaja - in-house product failed, and now they are kind of just servicing existing portfolio of customers they bought. Tymit is still here so far. Dunno how well they are doing.

I wonder when Revolut, Monzo, Starling will launch credit card in the UK. It will make me wanna switch to them full time.

Connected credit account is not enough.

Still gutted I didn’t apply for Santander zero when it was open to application with the weird bubbles card. I hope they will bring zero back.

Or do people not care, and do all of their day to day spending with debit card?

4 Likes

I do all my spending on credit cards and, actually, it’s one reason why a lot of the features of fintechs are just not that useful to me.

Maybe Chase’s big draw feature will be a credit card, but with all the budgetary features that other fintechs have designed for debit cards?

Perhaps with some of the stuff that Simple had in the US?

I don’t have Tymit but I think they are fairly decent and do offer instant notifications, which is good. I haven’t really seen what their app is like though.

2 Likes

Yes, that was exactly what I was suggesting, apologies if it wasn’t clear. I was attempting to make the points you both made. The likelihood of it failing is probably considerably less than the British banks given its size and global importance, but exactly as you say @gt94sss2, it is exactly because Average Joe may not have heard of JPMC and if they have it’s some alien thing from way over there that I think it could be an uphill battle.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought you were saying and I also agree with you!

2 Likes

I see this kind of statement a lot in forums and genuinely wonder what the attraction is/would be of having your credit card and current account with the same provider.

I have a Nationwide current account and their Select Credit Card, and I have a Barclays current account and a Barclaycard, however, neither current account is my main account, and I was not influenced into any of the accounts by the attraction of all with the same bank.

Just curious :thinking:

6 Likes

For me it’s that I need fewer apps, and I need to look in fewer places to see how my money is doing

5 Likes

Sometimes you can’t take out a credit card unless you also have a current account with the provider (as with Nationwide).

Also, I think a lot of people still like the idea that they can go to “their local branch” if they have a problem, to get it sorted out.

This may encourage them to open a credit card with the same provider as their current account.

5 Likes

Jaja’s in-house product didn’t fail as such, they just saw an opportunity and had to change to take advantage of it.

There are a few things you need to be a successful credit card firm. These include:

a) Free Capital
b) A large number of active credit card users
c) being prepared to deal with the costs of Section 75 and customer queries etc.

Monzo may get b) but not a) or probably c) at the moment.

It will be easier for Revolut and Starling as they have more Capital etc.

However, I suspect they are all having to reconsider their initial plans given the impact of Covid-19 - for instance, the large increase in Section 75 claims etc.

The card has been around for years. It was originally called the Abbey Zero (Abbey also had a Zero Current Account), then rebranded to be the Santander Zero and has been taken off sale before and then brought back more then once.

However, there are now a lot of other cards which offer 0% f/x which wasn’t the case when it originally launched.

2 Likes

Indeed, and the Zero current account still exists (although it’s obviously not currently on sale to new customers and hasn’t been for some time, it appears that legacy customers were never forced to migrate off it).

I received a letter from Santander outlining current account features the other day, which included the different overdraft rates for all their current accounts (including those not available to new customers) and the Zero one was still listed.

1 Like

My appeal of Santander Zero over a similar no-fx change NatWest credit card or Halifax clarity credit card, is that Santander has Garmin Pay :smiley:

Ditto Revolut and Starling.

1 Like

Back when I had a Lloyds account and Lloyds duo avios mastercard/amex. My wallet had an Amex, MasterCard, and Visa debit. And I felt empowered. Whenever any of the card networks had issues or were not accepted I had the other one to pay with. The fact that MasterCard and Amex were the same account was awesome as the bill was very clear. And the budget in the account was always correct and obvious, irrespective of how things were spent. (Although it did double count direct debit to pay off credit card, as spending on top of actual credit card transactions).

So yeah appeal is there. I am not sure if others integrated analytics like that before. I.e. it is extra nice what Monzo is doing with Trends. But a Monzo credit card transactions will have enhanced transaction data that is better than open banking data.

1 Like

Apart from it has been a myth a bit. I have a thing with my current account and credit card. Sort one issue “what else can I do? Oh no, no I can’t let me transfer you to the other department & do customer identity and security again”. Ditto mortgage. And branches seem to be a bit useless. At most they pick up the wall phone, and call the same people one could of called direct.

1 Like