Chase Bank UK chat

Also it becomes useless to use if you venture into the US and need to spend over $100.

1 Like

Is this new? First time Iā€™ve had it happen with Chase. Nice interface though. Didnā€™t screenshot how it looked on Amazon, but it was visually similar to the Chase app UI.

I like how thereā€™s a prompt here to change account too.

4 Likes

Nope, thatā€™s been there from the start - one of my first couple of payments (shortly after launch) was online & I got this prompt to approve.

1 Like

Itā€™s always been there, I there were screenshots a while back. I agree itā€™s a nice process (for what it is).

2 Likes

If you try with a balance less than the payment (so it would be rejected), it warns you on the in app approval screen which is such a nice little touch that I havenā€™t seen elsewhere.

That then gives you time to transfer money from another bank account. It updates the approval screen too afterwards so that you know when its safe to approve (as the money is in the account) and so the payment will go through.

I love that theyā€™ve tried to use the annoying (but necessary) friction of 3DS to add some value for the user.

4 Likes

Which is how I think banks should approach this. Because all it is is just an annoyance. But add some crucial functionality to with things like that and it adds some tangible value beyond just what can feel like security theatrics for the sake of it, making it a core useful element of the checkout flow.

I really like what theyā€™ve done with it. Most others are just a simple screen to tap approve. A slower, more frustrating replacement for a text message code, and nothing more. But knowing you can use these flows for greater functionality now, I see real value and potential. Just needs to not be so reliant on a smart phone app.

3 Likes

Nope always been there from the start. Only does it on some new shops for me anyway, the only one without fail it always works with us when I place my weekly Morrisons shop I donā€™t think it likes them :joy:

1 Like

I did an Amazon purchase through Chase last night. No approve transaction push for me.

I also set up a weekend test SO, to see if they fulfil them on non-banking days like Monzo and Starling, and pleased to confirm that they do!

1 Like

I donā€™t think Amazon ever bother with the approval flow?

1 Like

Chase app is great.

No idea why Monzo hasnā€™t done cashback deals with retailers like Chase have with Amazon - unless Chase is paying Amazon for this, so a lossmaker to drive new sign-ups?

Iā€™m disappointed with Monzo - I canā€™t get a loan and still waiting for Flex so they are not doing much to keep me right now.

I imagine this is the case. Big American bank with money to spare to break into a new market.

Really?

Ha yep should have seen that! I wonder if theyā€™re starting to ramp it up now.
I have a vague memory of them fighting it because it would affect their whole ā€œbuy nowā€ one click, donā€™t think, buy more kinda vibe.

I noticed in this last year, Amazon has started to ask for a cards CVC which they never did previously. It is clearly finally modernising its card processing systems.

Chase are sponsoring the Bournemouth Christmas market and lights. Itā€™s really good to see thisā€¦

5 Likes

I hate to say it but those are some lame looking trees. I hope they look better lit.

1 Like

I think most Christmas decorations look shite during the day!

2 Likes

ā€œTreesā€?

No trees were killed in the making of this decoration

1 Like

Needs a bit more ā€œsponsorshipā€ and TLC by the look of them :joy:

Thereā€™s a tree outside Birmingham Hippodrome with a hole in it. Dunno why :man_shrugging:

That said, I think weā€™d need a different thread for Xmas tree pics, if not sponsored by Chase :blush:

1 Like