Chase Bank UK chat

They can change somehow though.

I put through a Klarna transaction. The initial payment had no cashback, but subsequent repayments have all given me cashback.

I agree with the MCC lottery, but Chase kind of have to use something to work off of.

1 Like

Free money might? :confused:

2 Likes

Banks have been offering free money for years and we already know that this still doesn’t entice most of the population to switch.

1 Like

You’re right, cashback on pretty much all purchases over a year with no limit is standard for debit cards.

I think you’re forgetting that cashback has long been the domain of credit cards or debit cards with monthly charges - many people won’t touch credit cards or cannot get them, and wouldn’t pay for a bank account.

You don’t have to like Chase, but to suggest they have nothing different is wrong.

At this very precise moment they are quite clearly not trying to get people to fully switch over. They just want you to open an account and spend on it. That’s all right now.

5 Likes

But that sort of switch, moving direct debits etc, involves a lot more effort than just spending money.

1 Like

This is all speculation, but I also wonder that when they do ‘formally’ release direct debits (which is probably very close to launch now) and tell people they can now set them up, will they also jump onto CASS and maybe offer another deal for people switching fully using that (increased cashback? one-off bribe?)

I don’t think they like any bank. Certainly not Monzo (or Chase it seems)

2 Likes

I’ll happily take more money :money_mouth_face:

That and boasting the fact of their millions of customers already in the US. That’s instant trust right there for a lot of people. Folks always seem weary about Monzo or Starling at first. This claim of trust that Chase can make dispels of that initial anxiety.

2 Likes

I seen on the chase Uk Facebook page someone’s direct debit for PayPal had their instruction “accepted”

6 Likes

Almost a week later and Monzo still haven’t refunded me. No payments left to come out of this account now until bills next month but those are covered by the bill pot. So, I’ve left my account overdrawn by the exact amount that is still pending at Amazon. Ready to complain in the eventuality they have the gall to charge interest. They’re not supposed to, but they have done in the past multiple times.

Are Starling the same? If so, who’s legacy now? Because Monzo are really starting to feel it compared to Chase.

Growing to love the Chase experience quite a bit. It’s a bit bare bones but I like that. And what does exist has been done very well. Barebones, yet highly polished, and well thought through. Pace of features and updates is quite nice as well, and they actually bother to communicate them.

4 Likes

Think it might be Amazon dragging it here as I’ve received a refund from a transaction that only took place last night and refund has just arrived in monzo this morning

Yes, N26-like in appearance and that’s no bad thing. They’re my main spending account and frankly, I’ll have no difficulty adopting them as my primary account once DDs are in place.

Glad they’ve stepped up the rewards programme, as I’m sure many have been waiting to see how long they’d rely on the 1% for twelve months thing.

Pretty much looks like they’ll be hooking up merchants and having Amazon on board as a starter, particularly at this time of year is nice. If that’s the direction of travel then, yes please :grin:.

3 Likes

Did your transaction settle before being refunded?

Those are handled differently and would be fairly quick.

I’m not inclined to assume it’s Amazon dragging their heels either. This is but one example that captures my experience with voided pending transactions fairly consistently. Monzo are always this slow with all merchants I’ve cancelled orders with before the transactions settle. Chase have been consistently fast when I’ve done it with them, though only two merchants tested thus far.

Monzo will give it back after 8 days. They always do. Same as most every other bank or credit card I’ve used.

Yup, Chase is now my main spending account, too. It was sitting doing nothing for a few weeks but the Amazon/Visa quarrel (and 3% cashback at Amazon) pushed me into finally using it. I’ve also been impressed but not sure I’d switch when DDs are available. I’m happy with Monzo at the moment.

3 Likes

This is definitely not us.

When you make a payment the authorisation happens, if you then cancel the order Monzo has no way of knowing they’re not going to present on the payment. In most cases merchants send back an ‘0400 authorisation reversal’ message through MasterCard - as soon as this is received then the money gets released back to your account.

It seems like Amazon sometimes do this, sometimes don’t. I have a pending transaction on Chase which has been there for a few days now, but the order was cancelled by Amazon.

If we don’t receive the reversal message then we have to wait until the auto reversal day. Some banks might not wait this amount of time, but this would be breaking the scheme rules.

10 Likes

In other news: there was an advert for Chase on LBC earlier, voiced by David Tennant.

1 Like

Is it actually David Tennant or just a sound-a-like?

Can’t remember if they ever confirmed it one way or the other Twitter, but a lot of folks are certain it’s him.

You’d think if it was him, they’d be be boasting and emphasising it.

David Tennant is how they get you though. When I showed the tv advert to my brother a while ago, he didn’t care about anything (he’s not into this fintech/banking stuff) until he realised they got David Tennant. Then he signed up. He’s only ever had one bank account, and has been reluctant to sign up for and try others.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that Chase ad on several streaming radio stations. It sounds like David Tennant slightly speeded up so that the voice-over fits into the allotted ad time.

1 Like
3 Likes