Chase Bank UK Discussion

The only time I’ve found location data not to be present is when I’ve made a purchase online. All the purchases I’ve made in bricks and mortar stores show the address and map.

4 Likes

The location stuff with Chase is quite new, newer than the logos and it’s still rolling out to customers, you mustn’t have it yet (I only got this weekend). Locates my Co op just fine. Meanwhile Monzo has no location for it at all. Just an orange gradient above the logo on the transaction screen. :person_shrugging:

Edit: added my most recent Co op transaction on Monzo to compare.

Both were online delivery orders to my local store and were paid with Apple Pay. Going back through my Monzo transactions it’s very hit and miss though. Some have it, some don’t. The address is in the merchant name at the bottom of each transaction too. They’re all identical but most don’t have a map with the location whilst some do. One uses the head office address. It’s so flakey. All my Chase ones have the correct address.

2 Likes

Well this was in a coop supermarket. A store that has existed nearly all of my existence and one which has never had an issue on monzo. It’s not a good start tbh.

2 Likes

To confirm monzo has the data without issue for the same store. It’s almost like some people have areas where data is crap for x bank and others have no issue at all in a different area.

We will see if the map appears as it will be the sole transaction for a while I suspect as I am not that impressed with the app.

2 Likes

:see_no_evil: hopefully only you and the other sphere users saw that!

3 Likes

We haven’t had a poll for a while :eyes: :bar_chart:

4 Likes

When the location stuff was added for me, it was done retroactively since I started using Chase. When you get it, you should see it on this transaction too!

1 Like

I will check in a few days, still moving money around to rinse their 1.5%

Merchant data across all my banks is variable which is more the point, monzo does really well where I am given how remote it is but starling does not. I care less about logos over locations but like I say monzo added small retailers here which I may test with chase and see how they find it.
Its more just the irony that so many have rabbited on about how good chase data is and the first time I use it, its crap lol.

4 Likes

In fairness, much of the praise has been centred on the logos, and you have the logo!

I imagine the real test for you will be if those smaller business that have logos in Monzo have them in Chase too.

Hadn’t seen any talk on location or maps, which is why I thought it was a new feature when I posted about it a few days ago! A few users have had it for a while though, so it must be staggered.

1 Like

Noticed today that my direct debt has location maps on it

4 Likes

Tbh the logos are a nicety but the location stuff is far more useful for me but it will be interesting to see how that fairs. I just remember people going nuts because monzo had an incorrect logo claiming monzo should just stop doing logos all because of a few incorrect ones, that made me laugh.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the logos being incorrect that drove people to that conclusion, but rather the lack of effort to maintain the feature and improve it.

I’d personally rather not have logos than be stuck with a poorly implemented, maintained, inaccurate, and outdated database.

I feel the same with Chase generally, but we’ll see how they get on in the long term, they might change my mind. Logos already look better in Chase than they do in Monzo, which is a good start. And as of now it’s very up to date and current. Just a case of seeing how well they maintain that in the future. It feels like it’s still going to be a fools errand of cat and mouse to me. I’d be perfectly happy with readable merchant names, other useful data enrichment like location, and nice category iconography at the forefront over logos.

3 Likes

I am the complete opposite, I would much rather have some logos than none even if the odd one is out of date for a while but I guess living remotely a lot of my transactions didnt have logos until I submitted them to monzo. I guess its glass half full over half empty but some really threw the toys out because there was a logo issue at time due to merchants messing with things.
Hell you could go Natwest/RBS and have no merchant logos or much location data but that would be chopping of the face to spite the nose.

3 Likes

If they’ve paid for the Google Maps API they might as well use it! :smiley:

Right now I use Chase as a ‘spending’ account similar to how i used Monzo when it first launched. But I’m definitely making use of their rates in the meantime too.

I wonder if that’ll skew the numbers for them when they’re trying to figure ‘primary account’ from ‘second account’. Would imagine BACS may just be the deciding basis for that though…

1 Like

Yeah I dont know how long the gravy train will last with the rates given shareholders are already starting to wonder but we may as well rinse them as much as possible in the interim, as soon as they drop below marcus they go dormant for me.
I actually like Marcus because money can only get removed to my linked account, its good for security for me where as yank banks have had issues in the past that are rapidly covered up.

I think I made the mistake of moving remote far too late into Monzo’s life, after they’d abandoned maintaining it. Only places round here with a logo are the Tesco and co op. Perhaps they have boots and Argos too but if I shop there it’s always online.

None of the smaller businesses here have logos. Not even the tourist places. Not even Ishga, Stag bakeries, or Isle of Harris Distillery, who despite being local businesses, operate nationally, and aren’t as small or niche as many London based business of their size, or even smaller, which have logos. Ora the round kitchen towel, as one example, or Nextday Coffee.

1 Like

I didnt actually move back to remote until a year before covid but I always visiting family so I would submit occasionally then. I have submitted a few that have not been added since I did it a few months ago but they all dont have twitter and only have facebook presences but I do drop that in the submission.

I really dont expect many will have logos here with chase but I really hope they have locations.

2 Likes

Can’t comment how it’ll be where you are, but of my examples here, Ishga and the tourist spots have logos in Chase, though they didn’t initially.

I suspect they have a system that flags transactions without this data and someone goes and improves it if the data exists. Would explain why the smaller places without an online presence or proper logo haven’t been updated. I’ve never gone to chat to report an error or lack of logo either.

1 Like

Tbh I wouldnt be surprised if there was some company out there selling a service for logos although with some of chase support being in Edinburgh they may have been told to do logos while they wait for calls/customers.

3 Likes