Chase Bank UK chat

Thanks! I thought they’d done something with Force Touch.

It’s not rules – the card has a chip inside that has the card details on it. The card has no online connection so there’s no way to tell it what it wants to be besides initial programming. Once it leaves the factory it’s programmed to be a debit card. Chase can do their backend magic to take from a credit pot but then I expect they might lose interchange and other benefits.

Ah! I see the confusion! No, by it, I meant the whole changing which account you pay from functionality rather than the 3D Touch shortcuts.

I like the the process shows which account it’s currently associated with, the available balance, and the option to change which account before you confirm.

It’s just a nice but of attention to detail and polish to the product that you just don’t really expect from banks. Shows how carefully thought through it was.

1 Like

Years and years ago when I lived in the US I had one card for both credit and debit; the checkout would just ask which one I wanted to use.

It was similar to this: A Credit and Debit Card: 2 Cards in One - The New York Times

Though it was with (the now defunct) Wachovia bank.

(It actually served as my university ID and had a third option on campus of charging to my meal plan account, so it sort of “carried credit” as well since I got free food and drinks on campus)

5 Likes

Chase now increased their saver to 3.1%. Not quite pipping Monzo at this point.

6 Likes

Tight bleeders!!

Not even until next month!

And some moaned about Monzo not offering the full 0.25% raise :person_shrugging:

10 Likes

Monzo seems amazing now because they offered the extra 0.2%, effective now

1 Like

Interesting from Chase when they’ve been pushing the interest rate previously.

2 Likes

Probably haven’t heard Monzo are offering a better deal lol

1 Like

They likely don’t care, but they will be aware.

2 Likes

I’m going all in Chase, slowly. I don’t care about the 0.1% difference as it’s mostly for me to keep the backing pot for the 0% credit card I’m stoozing with + a second pot for other CC DDs. I can’t do that from Monzo, or any other bank.

2 Likes

Yeah, I will continue to sacrifice that 0.1% for the convenience of running DDs off my Chase savings account.

Same, I have a few credit cards with DDs set up on one and then have other savers there so it’s all in the same place. Definitely a big pro of Chase that all the accounts have separate account numbers.

3 Likes

1 Like

That’ll be the clock change no doubt. Most banks have downtime.

4 Likes

Mox, in Hong Kong, does this. They have a similar numberless card approach, and you can switch between debit or credit spending.

3 Likes

So much for a modern tech stack.

2 Likes

All banks have this. Monzo don’t and they have an issue then with time being “wrong” for a portion of the year. We get this every time the clocks change. It doesn’t affect 99.9% of people so it’s not a big issue.

As ever, Chase are just letting you know prominently, whereas most banks don’t. That’s all.

11 Likes

I mean RBS/NatWest etc all have warnings in the app about the outage and have done for days.

I do think Chase is very legacy with this downtime, I should not be an issue at all. Given I run my account at a low balance I will have to pre-empt putting enough cash in to tide me over on the night as I wont be able to check or transfer in which to be honest is a piss take for a supposed modern bank.

Maybe I should leave more in but I want to rinse chase for all I can and I dont see them ever making profit from me.

Its not “wrong” its UTC and I dont know why its such an issue for people.

1 Like

Because it doesn’t match the time zone where people will actually be using Monzo?

10 Likes

I don’t want to get into it but it’s wrong. GMT+5 isn’t “an incorrect time” but it’s not the time used in the UK. UTC isn’t either.

Personally I don’t see the issue with downtime a few times a year at silly early hours on a Sunday morning that has actually happened pretty much our whole lives - in fact ATM’s used to go offline. Somehow, somehow, we survived.

Obviously do as you see fit with your bank accounts, but it’s somewhat ironic to suggest banks should be investing in tech to stop this when you openly “rinse” one of them. If everyone did this banks wouldn’t be able to actually do the things you demand.

Even the banks that are tech-savvy (say, Monzo) have issues (the time being wrong) so it’s clearly not something easily solved. You might just have to hold your nose and throw an extra few quid into your account twice a year.

11 Likes