Charity Pots

The likelihood of monzo adding a category any time soon is probably zero, unfortunately. The community has been asking for more categories for a while and so far to no avail!

Maybe give EMMA a try

emmaprod

Maybe without my screen filter :slight_smile:

This appeared in the recent Making Monzo Email:

Donate your Pot balance to charity

As part of our No Barriers To Banking campaign, we’re looking at ways we can support financially excluded groups directly, and by working with other organisations and charities.

Soon you’ll be able to donate money to charity from a Pot! We round up the change from your spending over the course of the month, and you choose who to donate it to from a shortlist of charities.

10 Likes

Been seeing charity pots in the API for some time now so super glad to see our first actual screenshots of it in action!

Initially some of my questions would be:

• What is the list of supported charities, and will there be an option somewhere to choose your own registered charity?

• I’d love to be able to support local and smaller charities who are unlikely to be in a shortlist like this.
    • Possibly some mechanism for community suggestions for extra charities?
  • Is gift aid automatically handled by Monzo and giving that little extra to charity?

• Is Monzo looking to make a profit off of this implementation? Maybe in a similar vein to the % of Gift Aid mentioned here: Gift Aid on contactless donations - If so, what amount?

• Not something for the MVP solution, but I’d love to get an option to select multiple charities and have an equal split sent to each of them at the end of the month! (Especially as I sense some people will use round ups, which can only be on one pot)

• Is the donation attributed to the person, or does Monzo collate all the funds of everybody donating to X and send as one packet “from Monzo”?

Looking forward to seeing how this proceeds! :heart:

2 Likes

Hey James! :wave:
I’m Lucas, the PM for Donate to Charity.

To avoid any confusion, I’ll answer your questions directly:

• We’ll be launching the feature in a few weeks time with around 7 or 8 small-medium sized charities that we’ve selected - you’ll be able to see the full list of who’s involved when we launch :sparkles:
    • We’ve specifically chosen smaller charities we think are doing amazing work for exactly this reason!
    • There’ll be a form to collect suggestions for other charities in the app - we’re totally open to introducing new charities to that list :rocket:
  • Unfortunately GiftAid won’t be available at launch, but we’re working on it and hope to introduce it soon after
  • Nope! This will be totally free for both users and charities :ok_hand:
  • Thanks for the feedback - this is totally something worth us looking into after launch
  • It’ll be a faster payment from your account direct to the charity

Hope this clears things up! I’m really glad to hear you’re looking forwards to this coming to life :sparkling_heart:

18 Likes

Thanks for the great response there Lucas, and (apparently) welcome to the forum! :smile:

Can’t wait to have it in my hands and to give it a go! (and to suggest some charities :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Oh Monzo. :heart: Looking at this list of charities really warms my heart.

1 Like

Looking forward to this, can we Include mental health charities? Mind etc

The charity category has arrived :sunglasses::smile: (2.43.0 Beta) :ok_hand:

Anybody else seeing this? :blush:

Now we need another new category to keep the list even :smirk:

Screenshot_20190413_114941

10 Likes

Just got it!

Bit too long to recategorise stuff, but it’s gonna be super useful when tax return time comes around…

2 Likes

Really looking forward to this!

I’d love to see an Orangutan charity join the list at some point! (e.g. Save the Orangutan, BOS - or there are others).

They’re critically endangered now due to, amongst other things, continued deforestation for palm oil plantations. They are amazing, and we’ve got to do more.
I challenge anyone to watch videos of rescued Orangutans (who have often witnessed their mothers being killed) being cared for at rehabilitation centres, and not find themselves falling in love with them. :heart:

Orangutan babies cannot survive without their mothers and stay with them up until the age of 8 or so. So these rescued little ones have a long road ahead at the rehab centres, with the help of people who give their lives away to be their surrogate mums, before they’re ready to be released into protected areas of rainforest.

1 Like

The list looks pretty even on another screen :smile:

Screenshot_20190420-202211

As I think I was one of the first to suggest this feature could I at least ask that JDRF researching juvenile diabetes (type 1) is considered?

My 4 year old daughter has this auto-immune disease and anything that helps her during her life gets priority from me.

Any update on this @lucasjohnston?

Looks like the help page is now live Screenshot_20190509-225133

5 Likes

Nice. Looks like it’s close. Although the help topic could use a proofread. :astonished:

4 Likes

In the future, I’d like to see the option for registered charities to apply to the program and become searchable when setting up the pot for anyone who wishes to donate to them. A little like the Amazon Smile process for organisations.

5 Likes

Loving the list of charities. It’s a great selection to start off with

1 Like

Did I miss this? What’s happened to charity pots?

3 Likes