Charged extra for using a "credit card" when I used my Monzo debit card

Either call again and record it, or email them.

You should be able to report then to MasterCard for breaking the law

But you’re wrongfully disputing the entire transaction amount - not just disputing a credit card charge.

You may be unhappy about the charge but this is for you to sort out with the merchant, not for Monzo to claw back the entire payment which was (mostly) rightfully made.

As far as I’m aware there’s no mechanism or process in place to dispute only an incorrect credit card charge.

I’m sure the law has changed regarding charging for credit card transactions so regardless of what a merchant treats your card as it has been illegal to charge a surcharge for quite a few months

I would bring this to the company’s attention and ask to be reimbursed the extra you were charged

1 Like

I asked Monzo about this because that was my concern as well. But pursuing a chargeback - so maybe there is a way to claim part of the money back.

Have a look at this: “being billed for the incorrect amount.”

Thank you very much My Trip for admitting you’re breaking the law:

!

And if you’re wondering which types of MasterCards they offer discounts on, compare these two:

2 Likes

I don’t want to get into a debate about this on the forum, but that chargeback condition wouldn’t really apply here from what I have seen :slight_smile:

I haven’t personally looked at this so I don’t know what decision has been made but with the evidence you have provided, hopefully we’ll be able to get something sorted :+1:

2 Likes

Just jumping into this thread, as far as I understand credit card fees were made illegal in Jan 2018.

What’s the legality in a merchant giving a discount for using a debit card? Seems a massive loophole in law if they can just raise the price by the previous credit card fee and minus it back off for non credit cards. :thinking:

1 Like

Seems like Mytrip.com is actually quite a nasty company.

I think the same is true for most online travel agents when booking tickets at a significant cost reduction compared to the airline.

There’s infinitely many logically equivalent loopholes. I haven’t seen the wording so can’t tell but hopefully there’s some aspect of “spirit of the rule” engaged.

People are always going to try their luck though so do report them!

Anddddd…we have a result:

And even better news, Mytrip.com has stopped charging card supplements. Mission accomplished:

5 Likes

Well done! I remember reading this ages ago and thinking how cra**y of them for doing so in the first place.

I’m glad you’ve got it sorted and now it’s fairer for everyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.