Cashless Football Stadium

Sheffield United have today announced that their stadium, Bramall Lane will be cashless for the 2019/20 season.

The club will be operating new till systems and payment devices, allowing us to deliver the best possible fan experience at the world’s oldest professional stadium.

I’m personally all for this but can understand why others won’t be. It seems a little short notice to announce this given the fact they will have planned this for the duration of summer. It may also be difficult for older supporters who don’t have access to the internet in the first place to read their statement and may also not have a credit/debit card.

This is already common practice in a lot of European stadiums and I know certain clubs in England offers queues specifically for people paying via card with the aim of reducing queue times.

Nowhere in the statement from Sheffield United does it mention that cash will still be accepted for the first couple of games or something similar.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

1 Like

I think Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium is completely cashless also.

If you ask me I think it is a great idea and just a sign of the times.

3 Likes

Yeah, I share your concerns about the communication of this and lack of warning. But I worked in Anfield for a season and it was a complete pain as it was cash only do younger me would have loved this

2 Likes

There will be a cash till at every kiosk, so it’s not really cashless!

Waheyyy shes a red!

2 Likes

Could not agree more - did a bit of bar tending and it was a nightmare :rofl:

1 Like

How will there be cash at every kiosk?

From the story on the blades website:

“Starting from Sunday’s clash against Crystal Palace, no cash will be accepted at the majority of food and refreshment kiosks within the stadium, although there will be one cash/card till per kiosk.“

1 Like