Capital One Credit Card

I’d just like the credit card version of monzo, surely someone must have seen the gap in the market for a mobile phone based cc account…

Do tell if you know?

Jaja looks very promising. Please consider using my referral link if you decide to sign up for the waitlist.

Joining the waiting list will earn you £10 cashback on selected online brands, subject to successful onboarding when the app goes live. Using my referral link will bump me up the waiting list.

Discussion here: JAJA Discussion

1 Like

Done… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tandem?

:+1:t2: 0.5% Cashback, paid monthly
:+1:t2: No foreign transaction fees and you get Mastercard exchange ratecwhich is slightly better than Visa
:+1:t2: Instant notifications for expenditure
:+1:t2: Almost instant notifications for payments to the card, about 10 seconds after you do the bank transfer

:-1:t2: The app is a bit basic, and it is difficult to save the online statements, you have to email them to yourself, whereas with apps from other banks, I can save them to my Synology drive, or to Dropbox etc
:-1:t2: No Apple Pay support
:-1:t2: Credit limit tends to be lower than for other cards

Yeah, I did know about tandem and did apply but got a knock back :weary: for some reason unknown to me as my credit score and affordability scores are banging hot… So that combined with the poor app made me decide to not try again…

There’s no Apple Pay & the credit limit is less than a quarter of my other cards.

1 Like

:poop:

1 Like

So, here’s an interesting development…

Capital One has agreed to buy Discover for $35bn - Discover being the credit card company who do their own processing (like Amex) instead of Visa/Mastercard.

Discover cards are not really a UK thing, but if Capital One do end up buying Discover (there’s definitely going to be regulatory hurdles to jump over!) could that lead to (eventually) Capital One cards being moved over to their own processing service and away from Visa and Mastercard?

1 Like

I applied to Capital One after getting pre-approved on MSE, however, they, for whatever reason, can’t verify my details. I gave them my passport and driving license, and a hard search has appeared on my credit report so I’m not sure what the issue was.

I’ve contacted them to see if they can reveal what details they couldn’t verify although I am aware banks don’t tend to tell people reasons for decisions like this.

Any ideas what my next steps should be? They have said I can try reapplying, but I don’t want the same issue to happen again, and I assume I would get another hard search. I could try with a different credit building card, but would getting two hard searches for credit have an impact on my credit report?