Call for help with travel wiki pages!

@hugo showed a sneak peek of how we’re planning to integrate the travel reports here on the forum with the app recently :tada:

To support that, we’ve been converting some of the most popular travel reports over to a clearer standardised format that should be easier to digest and add to — you can see examples with the USA and Italy (tip: if the emoji flag is at the beginning of the title, it’s been converted).

@james is about to build it into the app and we’d love any time you wonderful people can spare to help us convert over as many others as possible, ideally starting with the most popular. We’ll do some our end too but the more help, the better :heart_eyes: Hopefully it’ll lead to a better outcome for customers and more people here on the forum.

This is totally just a version 0.1 to get us started and we’ll iterate and improve on it :slight_smile: Any suggestions you have are very welcome — if it’s clearly a good idea, please feel free to go ahead and implement it.

:heart:

2 Likes

Emphasis mine.

Here’s the Travelling with Monzo topics, sorted by views (so the most popular topics are at the top) -

https://community.monzo.com/c/travelling?order=views

1 Like

I’m doing France now :fr:

I’m also going to temporarily suppress the “Travelling with Monzo” category from the homepage to avoid overwhelming it totally :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

quite happy to help , but not quite sure what to do - step by step :slight_smile: without cocking it up

1 Like

Good question :slight_smile:

First, post here to let other users know that you’re creating a Wiki topic for the country that you’re working on, to make sure no one else is doing the same…

Users can mute this topic at the bottom of the page -

Then, to create the post you’ll need to copy the text from this template into a new topic -

Raw version with the markdown formatting at the bottom of this post.

https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-in-template/8297

then incorporate as much of the Monzo user’s feedback into it as possible.

Once you’ve created the topic then if you’re a Regular, you can make it a Wiki by: clicking the three dots at the bottom of the post (next to Reply) > :wrench: > Make Wiki. If you’re not a Regular, one of the Leaders / team will check the new topic & make it a Wiki.

Raw template

**This is a template to copy and paste when creating new travel guides for using Monzo abroad. You can add or remove sections as needed, but please follow the general flow. The [🇱🇧 Monzo in Lebanon](https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-in-lebanon/8225) guide is a good example. Countries flags can be copied from [here](https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:SVG_sovereign_state_flags). Copy from below this paragraph. Enjoy! :D**

----------

_This is a wiki crowdsourced by the Monzo Community to help you travel with Monzo._

_Just like Wikipedia, anyone can edit it to help out others. If you have any tips or feedback for visiting [COUNTRY NAME] with Monzo, please feel free to edit this guide. You can also add a comment or question below — someone will then incorporate your comment into the main text below and then delete your comment. To create your own "Monzo in …" guide if one doesn't already exist, just copy [this template](https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-in-template/8297) into a new post and write away!_

_Safe travels! :wave: :airplane:️_

----------

[FLAG OF COUNTRY]

## Currency

## Card usage

## ATMs

## Payment and withdrawal limits

## Crowdsourced merchant data

## Miscellaneous

----------

_To edit this guide, just tap the pencil icon below. Alternatively, add a reply with your comments and someone from the community will incorporate your suggestions into the guide and then delete your comment._
2 Likes

do you then link the threads where its been discussed (at the bottom of the thread ) - how do you link multiple threads ?

1 Like

Assuming you’ve created the Wiki topic from scratch, you can just add [Discussion] to the title of the existing topic for that country, if one exists & you’re a Regular or if not, a Regular / Leader / one of the team will.

There’s no need to add links to the discussion post(s) in the Wiki.

1 Like

I’m on my way with Polish wiki. :wink:

2 Likes

Ill leave it with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to make a small edit to the Italy wiki but I don’t see the pencil icon? I see it for other wikis.

neither do I but I see two language errors that need correcting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe I have just fixed that issue. Try again!

2 Likes

Done! Thanks @RichardR :+1:

I have created :czech_republic: wiki page a while ago (almost 1 year ago)

Could someone please turn it into an actual wiki (I don’t seem to have the privilege), and/or generally link it from the app - I assume it is just linked automatically as long as it’s wiki in a specific category?

Only the author (you with relevant permissions) or a mod can do that :slight_smile:

Hey @radeksimko, I’ve just turned it into a wiki for you. Great write up!

Or coral crew it would seem! Never knew that :open_mouth:

Thanks Dan :+1:

Am I right to say this automatically enabled linking of that wiki page from the app (as illustrated below), for any feed items that are sent to users from now on (i.e. old feed items are not retroactively updated)?

They won’t link automatically as far as I’m aware. I imagine someone at Monzo writes up the app Help section articles (where that “Tips on using Monzo abroad” links to).

Some countries have specific help articles for them whilst others don’t. It might be worth feeding it back in the in app chat to have your thread added as a button for new Czech Republic feed items/help articles.

1 Like