Buying a new computer

Fair enough. I can’t remember the last time i even used a DVD to be fair. Only once to install linux on my sisters Laptop

I’m guessing most newer PCs can boot from USB right ? This is how I installed linux on my current (old) computer

And that’s another reason. Many people just don’t need them. I haven’t had a computer with a DVD drive for over four years.

1 Like

Ok thanks @Anarchist

It comes down to one of these then…

For that money I’d go with this:

It’s got the Ryzen 5, rather than the i3, so should stay current for much longer.

1 Like

That looks good. I’ll add it to my watch list thanks

I went for that one and I’m setting it up now

There’s an adhesive cling film bit inside the tower on the other side of the panel, shall I open the box up and take it off or should it be OK?

Read the instructions.

1 Like

I’ve done it.
Computer is rapid and very happy.
Only thing is I cannot find my 5ghz wifi network, I can only get the 2.4ghz one.

The PC came with internal wifi, and two wifi dongles which clip into the gold ports at the back

I normally remove it when I’m building a new PC. You usually find it on cases with a clear side-panel. It just stops the perspex from getting scratched. I’d remove it.

1 Like

That’s usually because 5ghz wifi is incredibly flakey. I run a 25m ethernet cable up the stairs --it’s far less hassle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough, I won’t be doing any downloading anyways

Installed Ubuntu onto the SSD, can’t see my 1TB HDD listed anywhere in the " other locations " section.

Does it need formatting ? It is installed because I saw it listed during the ubuntu setup and its listed in " disk manager "
I want to transfer my music to it

Update: formatted it and now its working

It may have been pre-formatted as NTFS out of the box, but unless you re-map your /home folder to the big HDD it probably won’t get used. With Linux, users tend to live entirely with their /home folder for security. It’s the same with MacOS and more recently with Windows.

There’s a guide to how to move it here: https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/

Thanks dude.
It’s just for storing my music, nothing else…

So happy with the computer its ridiculously fast compared to my Dell

1 Like

On the assumption you’re not gaming (sorry if I missed that) have you considered an Intel NUC? For general day to day computing they are a delight and you could easily build one for your budget.

The current LAN card doesn’t support 5Ghz.

Will one of these do ?

It has 5ghz ,

Open your up if it’s easy and look if it has the same connectors

It’s got a clear case so I can see inside and yes it looks the same.

Are all " PCi Express " the same size for all types ?

There’s different sizes of pcie connections, but from Google images all the WiFi pcie cards look like they have the same size

1 Like

So happy with it, thanks for your recommendation !

I’m fitting the 5Ghz lan card later

2 Likes

Upgrading the RAM to 16GB as my current integrated GPU uses 2GB of my RAM to run, leaving me with 6GB usable/free