Buying a House - Large Purchases

That’s once of the scariest things I’ve ever done. Checked the details about 5 times and then got my Mum to check them too!

3 Likes

I went an extra step and sent my solicitor a penny first, they weren’t best pleased that they had to check with the accounting department for a penny.

3 Likes

Did they charge you £90 for doing it?

4 Likes

Surprisingly and fortunately not :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve simply stopped using Monzo as the main account because of this.

If the additional authorisation was handled similarly to opening the account, with access to the ID tightly controlled etc, I’d consider that reasonable. But I’m not comfortable having such a selfie widely available in the chat history.

No having a pop, everyone’s circumstances are different, but how many transfers are you making that this became an issue?

I’ve never had to do it at all as yet and most folk wouldn’t be buying that many homes a year on a personal account

Certainly wouldn’t hurt to be worked on, and a complaint may play into that, but it’s probably rarer than imagined (though very front and center for those exchanging!)

3 Likes

Good question. Let me expand. It doesn’t have to be a purchase per se. Could be savings. Could be investments.

It isn’t strictly the number of transfers, but an assessment of inconvenience, the risk of a photo ID selfie being leaked (non-negligible), and so on.

1 Like

Thanks

I sorted that personally by making transfers out from Starling and into Monzo by striking at 2359 and 0001, but that is not for everyone!

Hopefully there is room to hook automated KYC into these checks!

Can I ask why you believe that the chat history is higher risk than Monzo’s other systems?

2 Likes

Very good question. My understanding is the automated systems limit the access to the photo, and handle the sensitive pictures with the highest security standards. On the other hand, chat history continues to be available to me (or anyone with access to my phone), and it is not clear how wide is the access to it among Monzo employees.

You’ll be surprised when you realise that (I believe) the approval image, and video may be sent to “no third party, one third party or multiple third parties”… All data shared with third parties are retained for (maybe) “three months”.

All videos, and ID documents are stored for 6 years (or 20 years if investigated) … All here:

Just to add, you’re dealing with a bank. Sending any image through the in app chat is definitely more secure than sending via email, or even arguably more secure than the super old chat system that used to be there.

All access to your account is monitored by Monzo, and I’m pretty sure it may be a criminal offence for anyone to take your selfies and share it with the wider world.

Your data, and information shared with Monzo is all stored with the “highest security standards.”, so I think you’re okay. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s helpful info. It’s definitely more secure than email.

My point is that not having to go through any of that because of higher limits, or being able to prove identity in a branch (which doesn’t leave additional digital copies of my ID) removes some - even if remote - risks from the process.