Legacy Business Accounts. The worst!

So I have a limited company already with business banking with HSBC.

Why is it such a nightmare to open a business account with banks?

I’ve just formed a new company as I’ve purchased a new business and trying to open another account is farcical!

The only common sense person I’ve spoken to is at Metro Bank which sadly is 60 miles away but it may come to that as the rest seem complacent.

The attraction of a new business takeover with good turnover, profit and a hefty initial deposit doesn’t seem to be attractive for them to pull their finger out.

HSBC want me to wait nearly two months for an appointment.

Banks are getting worse!

2 Likes

Try Starling, they do business bank accounts.

5 Likes

Monzo are starting to and will probably be able to offer you a business account in the very near future if it helps.

2 Likes

As much as I’m looking forward to this, it don’t think it’ll be ready for a while. My guess would be around Q3 2019 at the earliest

4 Likes

Thing is they can’t be trusted though.

The amount of reviews I’ve read of them just freezing an account.

The new banks just aren’t geared up for it

1 Like

Personally I’d take the reviews of freezing accounts with a pinch of salt, you could say the same about Monzo if you believed a lot of the TrustPilot reviews. Banks don’t freeze accounts just for fun, they’ve got legal obligations to meet regarding suspected money laundering, etc.

11 Likes

Opening a business account is incredibly difficult because… the law makes it really difficult.

I’ve heard lots of problems with all the new banks (Tide, Starling, etc.) freezing accounts but this is likely because of… the law.

We use Metro Bank but it was still a major pain in the arse to get setup with, they made us fill in the same BS forms HSBC do, they just made us do it in the branch and then typed it into the computer screen. 3 hours later we thought we were done but they told us we’d have to come back in a couple of days to complete opening our account.

Will hop to Monzo once they provide their offering. Metro Bank are okay but very old fashioned and they’ve wound me up by getting rid of Google Pay in the last few weeks.

1 Like

https://community.monzo.com/t/business-accounts-the-worst/55500/5?u=modo

+1 Tom here:
https://community.monzo.com/t/business-accounts-the-worst/55500/6?u=modo

Trust Pilot reviews for all the new “challenger banks” such as; Monzo, Starling, Revolut are all bad and are along the lines of “froze my account no reason” (broken english intended).

One of the reviews, Monzo have replied and said something along the lines of “We cannot discuss this any further due to FCA regulations”.

If these banks said “we have frozen your account because we suspect you of money laundering” or “a court have ordered us to freeze your account” then any criminals would probably bail and not face any legal action

3 Likes

Exactly, just look at HSBC’s or Barclays’ TrustPilot Ratings.

Looks like I need to swerve metro then.

To be fair HSBC have been fine for my other business nothing to really report.

I won’t be using whoever I bank with for card services as I’ve already got that sorted.

Tide don’t offer what I need. App based banking when you have 6 staff to pay isn’t practical. If it goes wrong your well in trouble.

To be fair monzo have been great but I still won’t transfer a great amount of money in through fear of account freeze.

I’m actually the AML officer for my own company so I get the AML laws.

Starling’s Business account is extremely quick and easy to set up and you get pretty much the same benefits as their Personal account. I’d urge you to give it a try :+1:t2:

4 Likes

If this is a joke, I don’t get it.

4 Likes

I need branches and a bit more support than just app based banking for the business mate.

Can’t take the risk when I need to move around large sums and pay staff.

2 Likes

Have you tried Yorkshire Bank?

Not yet but only because I’m waiting on Santander to come back to me.

Ah I’m with you now. It wasn’t a joke, but it did fall into the realms of satire. It was the Curry’s thing that threw me.

Was indeed great to catch up! Must do it again sometime. Not too soon though.

3 Likes

NatWest had a half decent business offering last time I needed it.

1 Like

The reason I am with metro now is you can walk in and open a metro business account. You need to bring your incorporation certificate and id etc but they even make the card for you while you are there.

1 Like

Is it for a TreeHouse company?

3 Likes

I’m not sure how the branches help you do that?

I pay staff and move money around just fine with my starling business account

1 Like