Bunq Discussion & Feedback

Yeah, I was put off by that.

Does that Netherlands have a culture of paying for banking, I wonder? :thinking: :netherlands:

1 Like

Bunq is a scam.

No other way to describe it.

I have reviewed the account. It is not clear you are signing up for a premium service when you order the card. They get around this making the first month a trial period.

I actually have an invoice for the card which was invoiced at €0.00.

The premium invoice was sent via an in app message several days later.

They refuse to refund the amount because I made use of “premium features.” The only premium feature I used is their bank card, which I was invoiced at €0.00.

STAY AWAY. image

1 Like

Yeah I love the concept of Bunq, and have just signed up and ordered a card.

The first time I realised there is a cost was following sign up, the app shows “Visit Together”, (the Bunq community), with a recent post of “Is Bunq a Scam” (due to hidden pricing).

So will see during the first month. If I found this 2 years ago I’d be all over it as I used to go to the Netherlands quite often - and didn’t have a Mastercard at the time either…

Do like the vertical card though - and the multiple accounts bit is intriguing.

2 Likes

Samee

I downloaded Bunq because I wanted to take a look at it, and I agree it does seem very scammy.

I’m not planning on putting any money in there, so god help them if they try and charge me. I want to close the account, but can’t because I apparently have ‘active cards’ on the account…

1 Like

deactivate the cards and then close the account

if that is the case a Maestro card is a good option rather than Mastercard Debit due to it’s higher acceptance rate in the Netherlands

2 Likes

I recently tried bunq as an alternative to my traditional Dutch bank account. The experience makes me appreciate Monzo’s unobtrusive and clear communication in comparison. bunq’s branding annoys me - if I wanted to spend my days looking at clip art i would just install a 90s era version of Microsoft Word.

Others have already mentioned the unclear pricing for the premium account. bunq also opts you into their (frequent) promotional e-mails, some of which can only be opted out of by contacting their support chat.

1 Like

After many many emails and days of communications they finally reversed the charge.

I was gobsmacked at a bank that is meant to be regulated, refused to escalate my complaint after we had reached deadlock. We’re only talking €8. But I certainly would not trust them with large amounts of cash or serious banking as their support and complaints procedure is the worst I’ve come across.

4 Likes

Their site publicity is all about ‘no surprises’ etc. I seem to remember. It doesn’t sound like they quite lived up to that then. :thinking:

5 Likes

There has been a lot of chat on their forum about the problems with the Premium trial month, so they must be looking at this generally.
It’s actually a very generous trial, because they let you keep any accounts you have created during the trial month.

1 Like

Exciting times, huh

TranswerWise seems to be looking for dominance over challenger banks

This should make the bunq card a bit more attractive to UK users

https://together.bunq.com/d/4952-introducing-bunq-zerofx/2

I said “a bit more” :wink:
They’ve said explicitly they’re not trying for UK customers anyway, which is a shame

PM me with a phone number if you want to get 10 Euro signup bonus the first time you use the card.

Remember, first month you get premium for free - just remember to cancel before the end of the month, if you don’t want premium…

Bunq is getting Pots and roundups

bunq-savings-goal

1 Like

Yeah, I deactivate it for months I’m not in continental Europe. It’s instantly reactivated on the card(s) you have, when you want

Most of them don’t give you Maestros, though. It’s a small, rare requirement, but it’s nice to have it just in case in some countries, like the Netherlands

Bunq announced the features in Update 10 yesterday:

https://together.bunq.com/d/8491-bunq-update-10/

For me, the most notable features are:

2 Likes

oof, not a fan of that glaring colour scheme personally.

1 Like