Bunq Discussion & Feedback

I was still in the process of opening a Bunq account (can’t complete yet, as my ID is currently at a different home in a different part of the country, which I can’t yet travel to due to the pandemic).

After reading this I don’t think I’ll continue with opening their account. They’ve been aggressively emailing trying to encourage me to complete the process too (even more so than Monzo business) which was already putting me off.

I used to love Bunq, but I’m closing my account. Don’t need all their bells and whistles, certainly not willing to pay for them, and I have no clue of their pricing structure any more, or if they are trying to be a bank or a company which plants trees based on your card spend. I think they would do well to learn from Monzo on how to write clear and concise information.

1 Like

I actually like the idea behind that, but not something I’d pay for consistently. I’d prefer an approach like rounding up transactions to go towards planting trees. Or perhaps every time I spend over a certain threshold auto donate to something such as onetreeplanted.org

1 Like

Revolut vibes here

3 Likes

They don’t mix their words do they :joy:

3 Likes

Dutch people are known for being direct!

1 Like

Hopefully N26 will follow suit.

4 Likes

Interesting!

I still have a Bunq account, opened years ago, and I’m grateful for it as it is offers an NL Eurozone IBAN for SEPA payments. I wonder how a potential reboot may affect existing accounts? They are aware I’m a British-based customer and my address has always been in the UK, but so far I have been allowed to keep my account with no changes. Hopefully that continues.

2 Likes

I’ve just tried applying for an account and refused to open it with my UK address… however it recognises my name and dob then said I already had an account (must have opened one ages ago and forgot). Logged in and easily changed my old email and number and has my UK address. Applied for a card and it’s being posted to me. I won’t use it but love the rainbow card :rainbow:

2 Likes

Not directly of interest to people here but it seems like they’re pushing to launch in the US as well, so it might be part of a broader expansion.

I’m here for that! I loved the simplicity of them, it was a real shame when they pulled back.

Bunq also looks quite interesting, and could be both a: competition for Monzo in the UK and also a threat to European expansion.

Nice to see a range of choices.

1 Like

If it’s issued in the EU, it will save you the non EU ATM fees in various countries. It was just under £7 for a UK card in the Czech Republic in the summer Vs nothing for an EU issued one.

I used Bunq as my primary spending account when I lived in Spain, really liked them. Great app. Would be excited to see them in the UK.

1 Like

Pretty sure when I decided to open an N26 account it was the same day they announced they were closing the UK accounts. So I’d be happy if they come back!

2 Likes

Bunq on the way back to the UK.

1 Like