Bunq Discussion & Feedback

Sofirstly load Revolut with Euros, then transfer them via SEPA to Bunq.

Seems like a faff when there are plenty of cards you can just simply load.

For sure it’s a faff, and I don’t see the appeal for UK users!
But I thought it was a bit unfair to rip into their fee structure when it actually feels similar to Monzo fees.

Do Bunq charge for UK withdrawals?

Yeah.

(I don’t understand why anyone would get this over Starling / Revolut)

1 Like

Yes - 99 cents. Which is pretty unique amongst the competition. I downloaded the app, and was ordering the card, but took a second look at the t’s and c’s. Nein danke.

If you get their “Premium” account (at £7.99 per month) you get 10 cash withdrawals for free, then it costs 99c.

Not sure it’s worth that much a month but they do have interesting features like Pots having their own IBAN and multiple card types.

You do, but the 10 withdrawals are effectively costing you 79.9 cents per withdrawal! Not sure that many people will want or need 25 different IBANs. They also only issue Maestro cards to German, Dutch and Austrian customers.

#Bunq launches metal card and plants a tree for every €100 spent

Fintech startup Bunq is launching a metal card called the Green Card. While some banks offer a cashback program with premium cards, Bunq is offering a special kind of “cashback”. For every €100 spent, Bunq plants a tree. The company has partnered with Eden Reforestation Projects to finance reforestation around the globe.

4 Likes

This is greenwash. Better just to donate to a charity that plants trees!

4 Likes

Wow. 99 a year. That’s ridiculous…

2 Likes

I just took another look at Bunq today, and saw the Green card.

Guessing nobody here has sprung for it?

Best part, it’s a pre-paid card. Not super clear on who this is aimed at!

1 Like

bunq has struggled from the start to find a workable free of charge tier, though I’m not really sure why.

They studiously avoided making any money on the original free package, for example, sending me two cards during the trial, then disabling them after a month… So they’ve sat in a drawer not gathering interchange fees every since :man_shrugging:

It looks like this is another misguided attempt to attract customers who won’t pay the monthly fee. Sort of differentiating between prepaid cards and full accounts

And the best is that while the green card is a pre paid, the plastic “travel card” is credit

Quite incredible that they kill the travel card the moment you order the green card. Delivery was 3 months away when orders opened.
…they do invite you to use the new card right away for online orders…

Don’t get it at all :man_shrugging:

Incorrectly

Green Card and Travel Card both is listed as Credit, bunq don’t offer pre-paid cards only debit and credit

Yep

Anyone here a previous bunq user? Earlier this week I got this email from them, regarding their changing memberships:

At bunq we always strive to be the bank that perfectly fits your wants and needs. That’s why we recently introduced our new SuperGreen subscriptions, so you can become CO2 free in less than 2 years.

To make SuperGreen possible we had to simplify our subscriptions. We were amazed by the overwhelming support: 81% of our community are excited about greener and simpler offerings from us!

As part of this big step to a greater bunq experience, we have fully discontinued the bunq Free / More / Premium Limited subscriptions. However, we want to make sure that you get to experience the latest Premium features that make life easy. You have been automatically upgraded to bunq Premium and your first 3 months of bunq Premium are free. This way you can get the full bunq experience without any hassle.

So after not being a member for 2 years, they’ve upgraded me (and I assume others in the same boat) on a plan that has a charge, with no input from me to do that!

Anyone else previously with bunq - please check this!

1 Like

I still use bunq. I was quite happy on the free version, as the membership just doesn’t really make sense for anyone in the UK.

I’m not surprised they ditched it - with no active cards, no overdrafts, no credit cards, I could not see how they were even breaking even.

I’ve always thought they should have put together a Lite membership from the start - the Premium is lavish, but complete overkill for most. 25 accounts, 3 physical cards and 5 virtual?!

Having said that, I’ve just received the Travel card - they’re still following the bizarre policy of sending out cards that will probably be frozen or deactivated in three months.