🇧🇬 Monzo in Bulgaria

Yeah, no issues at all

1 Like

I agree and had the same experience. I now always have to carry a back up card as monzo can’t always be relied upon like mainstream banks

Apple Pay showing the same error invalid card, is there a chance Apple Pay is generating different version of this BIN which is rejected by BORICA again on the contactless POS?

1 Like

NO card can be relied upon. I’ve had far fewer issues with Monzo (not in Bulgaria but overall) than most cards. I always say at least three different issuers and networks should be carried at all times.

1 Like

Most probably this is the issue as I found in Apple Pay dev pages that “This BIN will differ from the BIN of the underlying card“

2 Likes

Diana, where in Bulgaria did you go?

I’m going to Bansko next week so trying to find out if I can rely on Monzo for ATM / restaurant payments.

Hi, I was only in Sofia and Plovdiv and had no problems with the card. Not sure about Bansko, but it’s a touristy place so imagine businesses would be taking cards. Maybe ask the place where you’re staying?

Diana Danova

mod note: edited to remove personal info

Thanks for responding Diana…
I’ve ended up getting cash to cover all bases.

I’ll give the card a go to check.

1 Like

Hi David, I too am going to Bansko this week. Hopefully it works out, I’ve put all my eggs in one basket! Fingers crossed. Will let you know how I get on.

2 Likes

Just came back from Bulgaria (Sofia and Plovdiv specifically)

No issues using Monzo card. Ranging from restaurants to supermarkets to local corner shops + Vitosha mountain cable car.

Can I use my card while on holiday in Bulgaria?

There’s a whole topic discussing peoples experience with using Monzo in Bulgaria below…

Hope this helps

and here:

1 Like

Thank you. That’s all I needed to know. Will make sure I take enough cash or just transfer it to my friend

1 Like

If you read to the end of that thread you’ll see that most recent visits to Bulgaria have had no issues using Monzo. That was certainly my experience when I was there.

I used 2 different ATMs to withdraw cash, and my card about 20 times in various locations. Worked fine every time :+1: