Broadband: Which providers have the best deals?

Vodafone have very attractive pricing at the moment. I’ve got friends with them who have no complaints.

SSE also do no contract fibre, 80mb for £30. Was with them up until September, always had excellent service. On their crazy 80mb for £20 deal they sold for a short while.

As soon as Hyperoptic are in my area I will be all over it

1 Like

The map doesn’t zoom out very far, but from where I’ve looked, they don’t appear to come within 100 miles of my house :frowning: The southwest sucks!

Just checked the map and there are at least 5 buildings all going live with Hyperoptic all within 5 minutes from me

Gigaclear are rolling out Fibre to the property where I am in the southwest at some point. I can’t get them to be any more specific on timeframe other than by the end of 2019 but at least it’s coming at some point.

Looks like something fro Easy Group :upside_down_face:

I am supposed to be on 150mb with Hyperoptic. I had 1GB but that was a bit of overkill. This is WiFi speed test on cable connection it goes well over 200mb for me :slight_smile:

It’ll be interesting to see where they go. Where I live has a population of roughly 14k but we don’t even any fibre available. I assume the local secondary school has their own fibre link, but residents across the road don’t have fibre available from VM or BT.

In the meantime if my usage increases, i’ll just have to order another ADSL line into the property again :stuck_out_tongue:

fibre available from VM or BT

Neither Virgin nor BT gives you fibre - please don’t buy into their false advertising bullshit. Virgin uses cable (HFC) while BT uses VDSL2 at best and ADSL at worst depending on the line quality.

Just be thankful you can get half decent broadband, in Barrow my Mum recently moved house and she can barely get 5Mbps there…

It doesn’t have virgin media or ‘fibre’ available, either!

Well your 5mbps is the same “fibre” that BT offers, aka ADSL, so actually you do have fibre :tada:

Well, yeah, but it’s not fast. It can barely stream Netflix in HD.

I’m not there anymore, I’m back with my Nan for university, and she has about 18Mbps with Sky…

The annoying thing is, she only moved about a mile to the northwest, and the internet speed more than halved.

They’re not at all good in my experience. Speeds are much slower down and up the Zen Internet providing service previously.

PlusNet Service is patchy and regularly dries up for a minute or two for no discernable reason.

And when you come to leave (when you’ve worked through the 18-month minimum contract term) they have the cheek to charge £30 if you want to leave.

I wish I’d known that earlier this week. :roll_eyes:

Strange as where I live I’ve had exactly the same experience as from any other of my providers, and I’ve been with a few! Thinking of switching back to them soon actually

This is the problem with anecdotal experience. You’ve had good service from them, mine has been poor.

I’m jacking them in and going for Virgin Media. I’m a bit worried, I’ve heard so many Virgin horror stories. Yet some people claim they provide a good service. Fingers crossed.

Does Branson have any interest in them still. I’d feel bad if I was financing him.

1 Like

I see your point, its all swings and roundabouts, You will always find people who have had bad experiences with any organisation.

Virgin is okay when it works - but when it doesn’t, good luck - the customer service is awful just like any other big telecoms company. Personally my solution in this case is quite simple, blocking the direct debit and moving on - of course this wouldn’t work if you ever need significant credit or a mortgage (none of which I need so I’m fine).

…and that is exactly what I’ve heard :neutral_face:

It is no different from the other big players though - O2, Vodafone, EE, Three, etc.

If you want great CS you better look into the small companies like Andrews & Arnold (my personal favorite), Zen Internet, etc. But the issue with them is that they only do rusty DSL and not cable like Virgin.