Brexit Chat

1. She was elected.
  2. We elect parties not people.

I’m not a Conservative voter or even a fan or Theresa May (though I think she is probably the least-worst option for them right now) but this idea of an unelected Prime Minister just annoys me as we do not have a presidential system.

5 Likes

Personally… i’d be more in favour of a federal UK.

I’d like to see England, N.Ireland, Scotland & Wales have an equal spot at the table.

England could even get it’s own Parliament/Assembly (which i’m sure there’s a lot of support for).

1 Like

This means the DUP votes are more important than ever (if the Tories manage to avoid an election)

Keep it friendly folks!

I didn’t say they were. I pointed out that, as of July 9th 2018 we do not elect Prime Ministers. We never have done!

2 Likes

People vote for people, people were banging on about Corbyn not Labour, if he was running they’d vote for him not Labour likewise Johnson…

1 Like

The UK doesn’t subsidise Scotland more than London does the rest of England

I support an English assembly/parliament, as do a lot of the major players in the devolved governments. It’s annoyingly been hijacked by far right groups like the EDL.

1 Like

This thread slowly starts resembling the political mess that the UK is currently in… Dear, oh dear!

2 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what you throw at it, our system is not designed to elect a person. People might go into a polling booth and “vote Theresa May” but the MP they get might differ from Theresa May on many policies and vote differently. It’s important, under the current system, to look into your local MP and vote based on their views.

1 Like

Remember the code of conduct people please :+1:

3 Likes

Sadly you’re right but that just underlines the need for better political education and understanding in this country.

3 Likes

I think we can all agree that we are living through some what of a historic period right now :no_mouth:

8 Likes

My now 18yr old daughter will be pleased. She still feels robbed by the last election being called when it was. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh and Donald Trump is due in the UK soon, just to mix things up that little bit more, on top of everything else that is going on. What a time to be alive.

1 Like

I voted leave, and would again. I just don’t have any personal interest in any of the issues that come from the Remain camp.

For me Brexit is a mess. David Cameron was scared of UKIP, called a referendum and it backfired.

Then in their wisdom the British public kept on voting Conservative, and now we have a government held to ransom by the DUP!

As soon as Brexit was confirmed UKIP should have been put in charge of actioning it so at least it was done properly.

Having Teresa May, a remainer, in charge is just a plain and simple conflict of interest and is never going to work in a million years.

It doesnt matter what side of the fence you sit on, were all screwed and theres nothing we can do about it because we as a nation voted the wrong way again…

1 Like

Just to add that I don’t disagree with you here - I actually don’t like how our current system works and I think you should be able to vote for a person who will be the Prime Minister.

2 Likes

When a non banking topic gets the community going…

hahha :smiley:

12 Likes

Of course not, this country is a joke and parliament is just full of bunch of spineless fools just out to look after them selves and their pay/pensions.

My local MP is Boris Johnson so yeah… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Historic period called total mess for which the common people will pay the price, especially the youngsters.