Brexit Chat

BV

Basically old people decided on fate of young people.

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028

In answer: no. I voted remain, and I believe in remain still. Not one thing has even come close to convince me otherwise.

The issue I have is there is no compromise allowed from many leavers. If the vote was the same swing but to remain you’d bet your bottom dollar that leavers would demand we change our relationship with Europe to reflect that nearly half the country voted to leave.

Of course because they won they are happy to ignore the nearly half who voted to remain.

4 Likes

Boris has gone

5 Likes

I don’t want to stray the conversation off-topic, but I do feel like it’d be rude not to reply - sorry in advance for straying off-topic! :pray:

I would respectfully suggest that you might not understand exactly why so many people in Scotland support independence; it’s about as far removed from “getting away from English/Welsh/Irish people” as it possibly could be, and it definitely isn’t a simple belief based in identity politics.

Fundamentally, it’s about enabling the kind of country I want to live in, and Scotland is a country after all; independence isn’t the end goal - it’s a means to an end. It means we always get the governments we vote for and we aren’t subject to the mood of the English electorate (by numbers alone, Scotland faces a significant democratic deficit).

When we have 59 MPs out of 650 in Westminster, we will always be a minority, and we don’t have the powers in the Scottish Parliament to create the kind of country I want to live in - although our current SNP government have done an excellent job of pointing us in that direction with the limited powers our parliament has.

It’s worth bearing in mind that as we’re already in the EU, our regulatory framework and laws align exactly with those that an EU applicant state is expected to adhere to before joining; there’s also no “queue” to join the EU as some people like to say.

The EU quite strictly tries not to comment on politics within member states (which is why their reaction to the events in Catalonia was frankly shameful), but every time an EU official has commented on Scotland’s entry into the EU following independence, they’ve always said it’d be a quick entry and there’s no reason to believe we wouldn’t be easily accepted back.

We’re also a very wealthy country and net contributors to the UK; the myth that Scotland is “subsidised by the UK taxpayer” is completely untrue. With control over macroeconomic policy, getting rid of the colossal financial waste that is Trident, and having control of our own immigration policy (so we can welcome everyone who chooses to live and work here, rather than trying to hit morally bereft targets), we could be so much more so.

Once upon a time I’d have been okay with a federal system, but recent events have shown that Westminster will quite happily ignore the will of the Scottish Parliament when it suits them, so I don’t trust that they wouldn’t do so under a federal system.

9 Likes

calling it… Autumn General election!

3 Likes

Do you have a reference for this? I’ve heard it before but it was based on an assumption that all of the North sea oil is Scottish

1 Like

Formation of a new political party imminent?

1 Like

The only problem is there’s not much to pick from!

Boris crashing out - Hoping take May out I guess

Odds on another general election must be narrowing considerably, surely? At a time where the public know extremely little about the Tories or Labour’s key Brexit policies.

1 Like

Indeed… i’m tempted to stand myself… pretty sure I could do a good job… for half the money…

Free Gregg’s for all… and i’ll bring back the Macaroni pie…

2 Likes

You’ve got my vote!

2 Likes

You called it.

1 Like

I don’t know enough to be able to argue. I didn’t think there was enough industry and stuff to support going it alone. I also thought that the EU’s financial rules for new entrants were now more strict and Scotland alone couldn’t meet them at the moment.

But then it’s highly possible I’ve only heard one side.

All I can say though is - I do not blame you in the slightest. If I lived in Scotland and thought the EU would take us/let us stay. I’d be voting for it too.

2 Likes

Boris Johnson resigns because he doesn’t want to back up soft Brexit plans? Hang on, wasn’t he struggling to decide whether to be remainer or leaver up until a few weeks before the referendum?

3 Likes

It’s finally time for Lord Buckethead to shine

8 Likes

Boris going worries me tho! He’ll now try to get the rest to follow with him, with a vote of no confidence, followed by him going as Cons leader, followed by snap election.

Leadership debates on TV with Boris vs Jeremy would be interesting though!

4 Likes

That unelected donut Theresa May will be gone very very soon, this is the beginning of the end for her.

5 Likes

I voted yes in 2014 and Remain in 2016. I would vote the same way today, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Very much agree with @ianlyon.

Also, don’t believe the “Scottish nationalists hate the English” rhetoric that is spouted. We’d really just like to move out of our shared house, move next door to have more control over how we live & our finances. We’re still happy to be neighbours even if we’re still ‘anyone but England’ :joy:

If there is a Autumn General Election it’ll be interesting to watch the Scottish Tory seats, would they stay blue or change to red/yellow?

4 Likes

Called it!

8 Likes