Brexit Chat

I understand the Scottish identity thing, and completely understand wanting to get away from us English morons with the way things are/have been.

But surely Scottish independence would be like Brexit on steroids for Scotland, not linked to the EU or UK and probably having to wait a long long time to be able to join the EU?

I just don’t see why we have to split everything up. We should be bringing things closer.

I think a federal system would be a good idea for the UK.

1 Like

TL;DR: I wouldn’t change how I voted, no. Remain all the way. Hard remain, even. Euros, EU army (still mostly a pipedream despite the scaremongering), the whole lot. Bring it on.

I spent a not-inconsiderable number of hours trying to educate and debunk things that clearly were untrue around me and on social media and I’ve never known such a tidalwave of wilful ignorance among the more vocal element of leave supporters that I encountered.

I’d set out a reasoned and evidenced explanation of why leaving wasn’t going to work as promised* and why the arguments for doing so were distorted and the most constructive response I’d get would be “I disagree” (no further details would be available) but typically I’d just get told to “f*** off to europe if you like it so much”, be told “I don’t care what it takes or what happens, I want OUT” or just get called four letter words.

IMO even if you hadn’t the time or inclination to look at the facts and figures you only really had to look at the people who were agitating for brexit and the fact that they would likely be left in charge of it. That should have been enough to see that even if there was realistic scope for significant upside that others hadn’t seen that it would be completely imperilled in the hands of imbeciles like Boris Johnson.

(* remember, key people in the leave camp were saying that we wouldn’t have to leave the single market etc - it doesn’t matter if cameron stood up and said it would mean that, a not insubstantial portion of leave voters simply would not have seen or listened to what Cameron said, because “project fear”.)

10 Likes

There has to be rules within any community. I will flag content with the potential to be harmful or inappropriate. The Monzo team will do the rest and that’s their judgement call.

That’s what the flagging system is designed to do.

Voted Remain, won’t change coz… Well!

7 Likes

Bold post @PhilB I share the sentiment on trying to layout the rational cases for and against leaving.

You are essentially unable to have an informed discussion, based on fact and reason. I find that really troubling, and if you contest any of the leave points you are accused of being anti-democratic by ‘frustrating the will of the people’ smh! Democracy is the debate.

Though not sure I’d support joining the Euro, or making that point to win over EU sceptics! :bomb:

1 Like

I’d actually be all for a federal Europe - and I’ve only started think that way since the referendum.

I’ve always been pro-EU but all this and the way people and the media have been acting has made me really think about it all and honestly think it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Change our speed limits to kilometres, bring on the Euro.

Like you say - despite what was said, that was never going to happen in our lifetimes - if ever.

1 Like

And also please use kilograms instead of stones for human weight… :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

While overall this would probably be good, I can see tons of issues during transition, people doing 50 in a 30mph and claiming they didn’t understand the signage.

Aww, I’m okay with stones/lb & cups. Can we at least agree to stop measuring horses in hands?

Can someone give me a TLDR on the circumstances behind David Davis resigning and the recent events?

My limited understanding of the recent updates : They all figured out that Brexit is an untenable nightmare, set out terms that show that the whole thing was pointless to begin with, Davis resigned out of embarrassment, Farage is still a racist idiot?

2 Likes

@simonb

2 Likes

Childish politics, threatened to do it for so many times, May didn’t take him seriously and now he’s thrown his toys out the pram?

1 Like

My understanding is…

DD wanted a “hard brexit” - TM rallied for a softer Brexit, and gained support from the cabinet.

DD felt he could no longer continue in his role.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

EDIT - For people not aware… TLDR means “Too long, didn’t read”, so that’s people asking for a brief overview (although not sure anything is “brief” when it comes to Brexit!).

2 Likes

Taken from The Guardian

“Dominic Raab, a Brexit-supporting minister, has been promoted to replace David Davis as Brexit secretary, No 10 has announced. Theresa May had embark on a mini reshuffle after Davis announced his resignation late last night, saying that he could not defend the Brexit plan agreed by the cabinet at Chequers on Friday. Davis’s resignation came as May was already facing an angry backlash from Conservative Brexiters who believe that her plan to ensure the UK accepts a “common rulebook” with the EU on goods (ie, the EU’s rulebook) means that Britain will remain a “ruletaker” after Brexit. The outburst of Brexiter anger poses a potential threat to May’s leadership, but not necessarily an imminent one. Davis has said he does not want to see May replaced (see 9.43am), and although many Brexiters are saying May’s plan is unacceptable, we have not heard any of them today saying May must quit. May is preparing to defend her strategy, in a statement to MPs at 3.30pm and then in a private meeting with Conservative MPs at 6pm“

1 Like

The Republic of Ireland did it a few years back and I think they got used to it pretty quick.

1 Like

Boris nowhere to be found — I recon he’ll be gone by the end of today too. The day after a British woman is allegedly murdered on British soil by agents of a foreign power, he’s gone missing to ponder the only thing that interests him: his career

6 Likes

Technically we’re digressing, but quickly; in at least some part, I say “HARD REMAIN!” as an equally ludicrous counterpoint to those who with a straight face suggest we should put farage and johnson at the wheel, close our eyes, and crash off the cliff-face.

I was (am, really) a € sceptic, really. As I recall, even the people who originally proposed it say that the way it is implemented is to set it up for hardship and failure. You can’t really have one currency and 20 (or however many) different fiscal policies, and this is a function of there being too broad a spectrum of countries of variable financial health currently a member of the Eurozone and what I would say are nebulous ideas of fiscal policy control being an important manifestation of national identity.

Countries should only be able to join the eurozone once their economy closely resembles the prevailing eurozone fiscal policies/health and accepting that to do so means that you accept joining a fiscal policy and taxation union (for the most part).

So I guess, what I’m saying is that I really am for hard remain, just harder than some of the EU27 are probably willing to go today… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Wonder if we’re about to see a rebellion…

While out and about it seems half of Devon & Cornwall still don’t understand the current road signs, self service machines in supermarkets or the whole concept of contactless payments.

Anyone know off the top of their head how many older people voted leave? (older as in people who remember a time before the EU)

1 Like

There were strong age trends in the vote, remain was much higher amongst younger voters and leave amongst the older ones - so much so that by the time we leave, sufficient of the older voters will have died that if we had the referendum again and everyone still alive voted as before, the result would be remain.

Sadly, my parents in law both voted leave because “they remember the war and don’t want to be ruled by Germans”

4 Likes

6 Likes