Brexit Chat

Should we call Irish referendum on abortion advisory and ignore the result? How about ignoring Australian postal survey (in fact, a referendum with only difference that there was no obligation to vote) which returned a support for same-sex marriage? Should it have been ignored as well? This is not how democracy works. If democracy is a system where the voice of majority is decisive, referendums are its purest expressions.

The Irish abortion referendum was because an amendment to the constitution must be decided by the public in a referendum. The Government wanted to change the law but needed the vote to do it. Different scenario.
The U.K. does not have a similar constitutional block so referenda are not binding as such but if the Government says they will abide by the result then they have to.

3 Likes

Different angle then. Should Scottish government ignore the result of the independence referendum and proclaim independent Scotland?

No. If you hold a referendum and it doesn’t go the way you want you should just keep doing it or phrase the question in a way that means you eventually do. Ethically and morally you can’t say you want the will of the people and then ignore it. You’d lose all credibility with both sides and it’s electoral suicide

2 Likes

I will admit i voted leave in the referendum. But now looking at the mess the government and country are in I wish I voted remain.

9 Likes

Yup I see most people are saying they would vote the same way. Honestly Ive got some serious Leavers guilt. At the time I was living back in Belfast and was heavily influenced by the opinions of those around me. I also felt the Leave campaing was full of promises and the Remain campaing full of threats. It is only since moving to England that I have changed my opinion. Now I would consider myself a hard Remainer (too little too late).

6 Likes

you don’t think that’s already happening? As a black man I can tell you it IS happening now. I can handle it I gre up with the far right raising it’s damn ugly head but I worry for my children. I cannot fathom how changing to leave would stop the far right’s rise at all…

7 Likes

I voted to leave and if there was another referendum tomorrow I would vote exactly the same.

2 Likes

As a cis straight white man it’s probably not best for me to comment on racism, as I’ve never experienced it, I know that race hate increased two fold after the vote, but I do worry it would get a lot worse if the vote was seen to be ignored, and a lot of the general public would be sucked into the UKIP rhetoric once again :frowning_face:

2 Likes

If I new this idiot May was going to be in charge I would have not voted.

Still think we need out asap…thank god that joke Boris is out though🤗

I think you’re exactly the person to comment on racism, we need all the alies we can get… Somewhat off topic now!

2 Likes

I always call out racism wherever it comes up, I don’t think it’s my place to tell those who have experienced racism / sexism / discrimination that they haven’t, that’s what I meant aha

1 Like

Reminds me of the song send in the clowns…Don’t bother they’re here.

I feel this question will be a lot easier to answer once we know the final (if there is one) deal.

Do you think there will be a deal upon what the Government has proposed? I think the EU has already made the suggestion that the new deal they have proposed won’t likely be accepted.

Probably not. But I still think I’d like to see the actual impact before I decide if I would vote differently.

1 Like

I suspect not… I think May’s career is basically in the hands of the EU deal now… EU negotiators might take advantage of the situation…

I think you’re right. I think despite the days recent events May will survive this power struggle within the party because no one else would be stupid enough to be the fall guy (or girl) at this point.

1 Like

Yup. May’s biggest problem right now is Boris & Davis and any sort of rebellion they can muster.

As for the Tory party in general… well, they won’t force a leadership challenge unless things get really bad, because their credibility is at an all time low, the majority won’t survive a General Election.

ah yes of course you did my mistake my friend :slight_smile: