Brexit Chat

I think Brexit is like quantum mechanics. Anyone who says they understand it merely proves that they don’t understand it at all.

Supermajorities are standard practice when considering important constitutional changes. It makes a huge difference because you can be confident that only a small minority oppose the measure, as opposed to half the country.

This level of constitutional change after a knife edge referendum which was split 50/50 is insane. A supermajority requirement would have avoided this mess entirely.

5 Likes

Sometimes… it can still be worth looking into if it’s a great grandparent…

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/citizenship-greatgrandparent-born-ireland

Might be more costly though…

Edit: maybe not… I scrolled down a bit further…

Thanks. I know my mum’s side of the family are Irish, but not her parents.

1 Like

It’s not even leaving the EU that I find an an issue. Though I think it’s a bit dumb, essentially running away instead of fixing the issues that existed. Which they could have used the referendum to open those talks.

The whole thing has just been lies, attempts to mislead the public, attempts to hide information they don’t want the public to see, and the total lack of apparently any competence whatsoever. I don’t see how people think it’s a good idea to continue on the path we are on when we don’t have anyone who can do it properly.

6 Likes

Thinking about this more during the day, and I can’t see beyond the effects of leaving the EU,
There’s the real massive risk that the economy might well tank, and profitability will be a real issue as people might retreat to established banking brands.

We’ll know more on Tuesday!

2 Likes

Here’s hoping for a route to staying.

But the uncertainty and the effect that has on people’s behaviours will continue regardless.

2 Likes

I think this is pretty unlikely. All our deposits (up to £85k) are protected by the FSCS so I don’t see many people trying to start a run on a bank.

More generally, financial hardship and economic decline might work in Monzo’s favour, because of Monzo’s instant notifications and budgeting tools.

4 Likes

This will not and should not happen. We have made our proverbial bed and must lie in it.

No matter what we do, there will be a period of economical and political turbulence ahead. It will not, however, be as bad as people are currently making out. Other countries in the EU will suffer a great deal more than us when we leave, even more so with no deal. Let’s leave on our own terms!

Brexit rant complete!

The main threat to Monzo in 2019, competition. Starling are coming up quickly and Revolut are also moving fast. Monzo must ensure that they stay customer centric and evolve.

To be honest though, their is room for a number of challengers, making the customer centric model even more crucial as they will need to maintain customer support.

Focus on us and what we have to say! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Surely if the last two weeks have taught us anything, it is that the EU really are not buying this line that some figures here in the UK have been spinning. They want to ensure that it does not cause too much chaos, and to avoid too much impact on immediate budgets, but they are not going to give us a better deal because we are somehow special

Fog in the Channel; the Continent cut off

4 Likes

Correct. I am of the opinion that no deal is better. We owe the EU nothing. No matter how it is spun, we will be okay. JCJ et al will want to avoid turbulence as much as anyone else.

Ps. We are special and I will always believe that. If more people believed that the country would be a far greater place to live. A little bit of belief and patriotism is healthy :sunglasses:

Brexit rant complete V2?!

1 Like

In my opinion:

1. No we are not. Nothing makes the UK special.
  2. No it wouldn’t. Believing you are better than other people is a terrible way to live.
  3. It definitely isn’t. Think bigger than this tiny country. Work towards a better world.
15 Likes

Can I suggest Brexit discussion not directly related to challenges to Monzo takes place here

9 Likes

Eeek, didn’t want/mean this to turn into a Brexit debate, believe there’s a thread for that elsewhere. Just pointing out its a big issue in 2019

1 Like

Let’s agree to disagree :sunglasses:

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Finally finished reading! You either have text pre written for all situations or type like a mad man! Good effort.

I for one am proud of what the country has decided to do and respect the outcome of the vote. Even if I didn’t agree I would still feel a responsibility to support it. For me greater national independence is a good thing. We rise or fall together, but the majority should always rule.

We shall see what happens :sunglasses:

JCJ - Jean-Claude Juncker. President of the European Commission :wink:

2 Likes

:point_down::point_down::point_down:

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

some people have very polarised views on Brexit , which thankfully isn’t discussed very often on these threads - discussion often get very heated , there is a dedicated thread to brexit should you be massochistic enough to want to discuss it , can I respectfully ask you to discuss it there :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve moved 15 posts of Brexit stuff out of the ‘Biggest threat to Monzo’ thread to here. If you’re on either side of the debate, half of what’s written here appears to be utter nonsense so let’s keep it all together and out of the way of other threads.

My apologies for any discontinuities that result.

1 Like

:joy::rofl: One side will always appear to be nonsense depending which side of the fence/channel you want to sit. :sunglasses: