Black Pound Day #BlackPoundDay

Just a thought :thinking: - could we get some kind of opt in reminder for Black Pound Day every month please?

• maybe all pots turn black for that day?
• just a notification reminder?
• highlight a different black owned business each month?

It’s a nice idea but it will never happen.

1 Like

Do you do lottery numbers with your all-seeing eye, or is it just app development?

Did you see all the faux-outrage when there was a (I want to say) Ramadam icon next to transactions on that day?

Turn all pots black? How and what way are they all black? Images?
Notification? People are not going to want one for this and not everything else. But then if you do it for this, then what next?
Black owned businesses is an interesting one, but how you do it without a bias I’m not sure. Monzo on social media sometimes promote local from people, maybe that way.

The problem with all these suggestions is it just leads to whataboutery.

There’s not a BLM icon option yet. Baby steps.

2 Likes

I think it was in the transaction notifications, but yes, I agree with your point here.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

9 Likes

I had to google it and it’s already gone for 2020 anyway. 27/6 apparently.

Spending money at black owned businesses.

1 Like

Oddly enough, I’d heard about this for folks in the US. But completely missed that it was happening here too.

7 Likes

What?

Supporting black-owned businesses is racist now? Okaaaaayyyyyy…

3 Likes

Think I’ll just shop at my usual locations

3 Likes

Discrimination based on someone’s skin colour is the definition of racism.

And how would you even know? Should black owned businesses have a sign that marks them as such? Where have I seen this before…

5 Likes

I can’t wait for the day where people are treated as equal and there is no need for marches or flags. I thought we were getting there but now it seems like we are going backwards.

The sad fact is humans just aren’t very nice. If someone has a problem with you they will use whatever makes you different against you. Whether that’s if you’re fat, wear glasses, are a different colour, are poor, sexual orientation, the way you dress etc.

I know I’ve gone off topic, apologises.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I mean, black people think that’s racist as well.

Textbook racism?

Racism is defined as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Exactly, a white/asian/Latino person would be prejudiced against in this situation.

3 Likes