✅ Bills pots: support for (card) Subscriptions / recurring card transaction payments to come out of pots (Monzo Plus Virtual Card)

I’ve merged the threads with the objective of keeping all the discussion (and votes) together.

Nice one. really glad to see others could benefit from this feature.

I’m pretty sure some progress has been made as now I can see all my subscriptions in the bill pot screen, it just won’t let me assign them to the bill pot :expressionless: cruel joke

As already stated it shouldn’t be too difficult as it’s purely for the end user to set aside money. The app could easily notify you if You add more payments in with a total amount higher than the balance in the pot. Once a payment is marked as recurring the date is also set so the pot just needs to assume this date is fixed which In most cases it is

4 Likes

Good spot

I wouldn’t read too much into this.

This list is basically everything you’ve set as a “Recurring Payment”.

Still very much a different kettle of fish to include subscriptions.

Like others say, the logical way around it is move the money from the pot, after the subscription has been taken.

The downside here is that you need a buffer in your main account (or overdraft, etc) - but if it’s the netflix type subscriptions, on any one day that could be a small buffer.

I’d be happy with that approach, but I get why it’s not as straigh forward.

(For what it’s worth, you can mimic this behaviour with IFTTT)

Edit - what this behaviour would mean though is any card transaction could be filled from a pot - which would be ace.

2 Likes

At the moment I’m just using a manually set up scheduled withdrawal for my subscriptions. I only have a couple, and they’re always the same amount and same day so it’s fine for me. Doesn’t bother me that the withdrawal is early morning and the transaction might not be until later.

Hey - I’ve set up a bunch of pots for specific bills and successfully set up some bills to be paid from them, however there’s a couple of payments that won’t allow me to select them. They include Spotify and Netflix, and all have the type ‘Subscription’ rather than ‘Direct Debit’, even though they appear in my Scheduled Payments list.

Is there a way that I can get these working?

Thanks!

Those are recurring card subscriptions, they don’t work for bill pots at the moment.

Some members have reported success by using PayPal to pay them, but you’ll have to have a search to find out how they did it.

Was just about to ask how to pay a sub from a pot!

Great idea, but only half way there really. Need to be able to do all payments in the same way regardless of whether DD or sub.

Great feature though!

1 Like

Thanks - do you know if support for card subscriptions is coming any time soon?

It looks like it works with PayPal, however is there a way to differentiate between PayPal payments to different vendors, eg Spotify & Netflix, and make them come from different pots?

1 Like

I wouldn’t imagine so. I don’t use the pot though and the community is an inventive lot, so if it’s possible someone will share the info.

Subscriptions is an entirety different game to DD’s and SO’s. I would imagine it’s somehow pegged to merchant data in order to be accurate, if it was easy it would be done!

Has there been an official Monzo response for this? Such a pain, wish they’d prioritise it. Bill Pots feel like 60% feature because of it…

3 Likes

I can confirm that we aren’t presently working on this at this time, however it is something that we’d love to do in the future. As of right now, it’d be a significant amount of work to build this because we do not get any kind of advance notice that the payment is coming, unlike with DDs and Standing Orders. I guess it would be possible for us to effectively build out a whitelist of common merchants, like Netflix and Spotify, and base it on when we believe the payment will come out, but this would effectively be a workaround that wouldn’t account for various things - we wouldn’t know if you changed your subscription tier, for example.

The PayPal workaround works because PayPal will take a monthly Direct Debit. However, this amount will be for everything you owe to PayPal in that time-frame within one transaction, and I do not believe it is possible to get multiple monthly DD’s to PayPal that you could match to each transaction.

4 Likes

This is pretty much what I do, I pay Netflix etc from PayPal and they come out over the month, from a pot. However I only know what they are because of the amounts, so unless you pay everything from one pot, the only other way would be to setup different pot transferred based on the time in the month, if they’re all different.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but you can set up your own IFTTT applet to move money from one pot to your main when it’s from a certain sender. While I agree this should be an official feature, I think this is a decent workaround for subscriptions like Netflix etc without using PayPal.

4 Likes

Hi Liam & welcome :wave:

That’s a good workaround for people using :monzo: Personal Accounts. I used to use a PA and also the same IFTTT applet to do the same thing.

It sadly doesn’t work for people who solely use a Joint Account though - no IFTTT integration with JA’s yet. My AutomatedFinancial set-up could be amazing if JA’s were supported… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’ve been really curious as to why, as the API allows for JA pot integration :thinking:

Which API - IFTTT or Monzo?

Monzo.