Billing address and shipping address?

When ordering online do they both need to be the same or not? Just asking as in future I may need to order stuff to my parents house
Thanks

Most companies allow for the two to be different. Itā€™s fine.

2 Likes

Noā€¦ Thatā€™s why they ask that question. So you can provide two different addresses if you wishā€¦

Ok thanks :blush:

Most do. Some donā€™t. Some wonā€™t for your first order. Some wonā€™t for certain things.

Asking this is like asking if pubs have a plug socket I can charge my phone at by the table. Completely pointless without specifics.

2 Likes

The billing address should be the one that the card youā€™re using is registered to. Itā€™s sometimes used in the validation of accepting that card as payment. They might choose to accept, decline or ask for 3DS if itā€™s different to the one your bank holds. Itā€™s also obviously used to send paper bills if needed, too.

The delivery address can be anything.

If theyā€™re different youā€™re more likely to be asked for extra validation. Itā€™s called the Address Verification System (AVS) and used to reduce fraud along with CVV2 (the 3 numbers on the back of your card) and 3DS (the notification youā€™ll get from the M ok no app asking you for you PIN/biometrics to approve).

Dunno how useful it is now what with CVV2 and 3DS/2 - it feels kind of redundant now. I imagine a lot of places donā€™t even do anything with it other than a way to know your address if youā€™re ordering a gift. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is an alarmily basic question that shouldnā€™t need to be asked. If you donā€™t understand this, then there are more ā€œadvanced thingsā€ like making sure thereā€™s an SSL certificate etc that you also wont understand either.

Perhaps you can ask your carer to go through the basics of online shopping to keep you safe, as you sound like youā€™re an easy target to be defrauded.

3 Likes

I tend to read everything on here, regardless, so I think Iā€™m right in saying that the OP has an advocate not a carer, which are very different things, and they are only over the past year taking back control of their life/finances. I may be wrong, but thatā€™s the impression I get.

If you have never come across the issue of ordering something with an alternative shipping address, then itā€™s sensible to ask the question. Iā€™d rather the question is asked than an assumption made, and I am happy to respond to that kind of question based on my life experience.

If the OP wants to ask questions about SSL certificates and/or fraud then Iā€™ll answer those too, if I can.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know which they have. What I do know is (that may come as a surprise to most on here) is that we both live in the same town!

I therefore donā€™t mind giving them a crash course once the pandemic is over :slight_smile:

Hey

A lot of companies will require that on your 1st purchase your billing address and delivery address are the same for fraud prevention. After that itā€™s not normally a problem

I order a lot of stuff from Amazon for my parents so the delivery address and billing address are different.

I hope that helps.

on a personal note I donā€™t know why some people constantly feel the need to attack you and your posts (and get away with it) but keep posting, most people arenā€™t like that

7 Likes

Thanks dude :+1:t4:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.