Bill splitting 3

Great work so far guys! Absolutely loving the app!
I’ve seen somewhere about a bill splitting function.

Would be really handy for me, and I’m sure others, who are tracking their spending, as at present its saying I have spent an amount (let’s say £100) on food, but because other friends with Mondo have then sent me money to “split the bill” this is now an innaccurate amount, and realistically I’ve only spent half that (£50) on food for myself.

If anyone could shed some light on how the function will potentially work, I’d be interested to hear it!

3 Likes

Hi Dave,

Sure, bill splitting is on the roadmap and here are some previous thoughts about it:

Perhaps the UI could look something like this concept UI by Brian Plemons on Dribbble:

2 Likes

Any plans on extending the bill splitting to buying tickets for things like cinema/theatre and flight. E.g.
User selects tickets from a vendor and pays with mondo. Within mondo you can split cost and makes a request to friends mondo or other payment gateways?

1 Like

I would have thought if it’s implemented it would be across the board rather than category specific

This is only for splitting the amount evenly - which isn’t always the case for my spending.

So, in addition to even split - I would like to have a slider for the remaining amount, and then being able to assign a specific amount to a contact. With all the amounts assigned showing as a pie chart (where I would always see my own share with a fixed colour (set in user profile, defaulting to something reasonably unique).

1 Like

I imagine this being very useful when it comes to paying the bill at a restaurant. Will it support that kind of use case?

A bill splitting feature would also be important for budgeting. If you use spending tab as a way to budget yourself you don’t want to include spending on things which you’re going to get the money back from your friends.

So as a slightly separate feature, I want to be able to say that only 50% of my bill is my own spending and this to be reflected in the spending tab.

1 Like

Yes, it’s the next feature that’s due to be released for iOS, according to the roadmap :slight_smile:

There’s more discussion of the feature here -

https://community.monzo.com/t/split-bill-splitting/6397