✅ Bill Pots (previously Committed Spending Pot)

That’s how I interpreted it and tbf, i didn’t realise it was a slightly dated article!

I have separate accounts for my bills and my spending money so that they can’t interfere with one another.

If there was the option to put bill money in a pot and have direct debits come out of there i ( and I’m sure others) would be able to use this as my bill and spending account and have everything in one place.

I hope this is possible.

Hello :wave: and welcome aboard!

This has already been discussed at length here. You can add your vote to the top!

Is there any update on when we will have the ability to select a dedicated pot for direct debits? I would love to move my complete financial life over to Monzo, but still feel the need for a completely separate account that ring fences my bills money for the month.

Having the ability to put all my bills money into a dedicated pot, and have the direct debits come out of that would sort this problem.

5 Likes

Any update monzo on when this is likely to happen? I really want to go full monzo and it’s the one thing stopping me x

4 Likes

So I like to keep my utilities accounts in credit to have a safety net for the future but many of the companies like to refund this on a regular basis, I think it would be awesome if it was possible to assign recurring payments and direct debits to a certain pot.

Hi Ryan :wave:

I’ve moved your post over to this topic to keep all the discussion on this in the same place

1 Like

It is a great idea; likely the most popular on here and certainly the most voted for. Make sure to add your vote above :slight_smile:

I do this manually already with a scheduled transfer to Pot on pay day and then move back to the main account when each goes out so would be great if it could be automated.

1 Like

Same here bit manual to start but once done no need for it :joy:

I did consider this and this would work quite well I think but on days where a direct debits is deferred until the next working day, scheduled pots withdrawals would be transferring money into my main account days before the DD is due to be taken as they continue to work even on weekends. If scheduled pots withdrawals could be set to work only on “working days” or week days only then I’d be happy to setup this up but that feature doesn’t exist and IFTTT doesn’t work either joint accounts, so that’s really not an option either

1 Like

Yep that’s only issue, but then you have the option to re-add back to pot or try self control and not spend it (harder than you think :joy:)

Yes it becomes a more complicated manual process and you need to keep on top of it, especially when 2 people are using that account and have different understandings of how the account is run. This is where having a second account takes all the hassle out of it and requires no manual intervention

1 Like

Although it’s a joint account the wife only spends :joy:, I check mine everyday so always tinkering with things :joy:

Hi @simonb, on that point, is there someone you can ask to give us an update on its use internally and what progress, if significant, has been made towards sanding down the edges in preparation for wider release?

2 Likes

Hey @SouthseaOne, I’ve moved your post here to keep the committed spend chat in one place.

My understanding (and I don’t know any more than anything I’ve read on here) was that it wasn’t a case of sanding down rough edges, but fundamentally rethinking the approach and redeveloping the feature. And I’m not sure there’s a squad working on this at the moment - at least there wasn’t a few months ago (I can’t seem to find the right quote, so maybe it’s my mind playing tricks with me).

Either way, your question is a good one - hopefully Simon or someone will be able to update us, even if it’s just to say “not this year”

:crossed_fingers: (for an update, not for not this year!)

1 Like

Maybe they could fundamentally rethink it with it in Labs for hardy fools amongst us

Does this mean committed spend pots is now not happening?

What makes you think this?

Time for my periodic check to see where my number one feature for helping me control my money is.

Still missing in action huh?