Big News About Small Print

(Tristan Thomas) #1

We’ve updated our Cookie and Privacy policies to make them easier to read!

Here’s all the info:

(Peter G) #2

Just in time for GDPR!

A small typo in the Cookie policy (emphasis mine)

The length of time stored depends on the cookie, butthis is generally

In the Privacy policy there is a subheading called “where we store your data”. The section below doesn’t explain where you store my data, though. Instead it tells me where you might store my data in the future (outside the European Economic Area). I infer that currently my data is within the EEA but the heading is a bit deceptive, I think.

Good job, though! :+1:

(Huzaifah) #3

Hmm… good work. But I think a small oversight. A cookie notice on the front page no longer accounts for consent. You can’t imply consent from a message.

A better method would be to disable certain non-essential cookies until consent is given?

A brilliant website I saw this on breaks down cookies into 4 sections and gives the user the ability to choose which cookies he wants active.

Essential cookies,
Functionality,
Analytics,
And advertising.

This is just a thought. I’m a web developer and I’ve been preparing some 50 clients over the past month on the upcoming nightmare called GDPR.

(Huzaifah) #4

Maybe this here will help! (im doing cookie consent for clients today so thought i would drop it by).

Implied consent is no longer sufficient. Consent must be given through a clear affirmative action, such as clicking an opt-in box or choosing settings or preferences on a settings menu. Simply visiting a site doesn’t count as consent.

‘By using this site, you accept cookies’ messages are also not sufficient for the same reasons. If there is no genuine and free choice, then there is no valid consent. You must make it possible to both accept or reject cookies. This means:

It must be as easy to withdraw consent as it is to give it. If organisations want to tell people to block cookies if they don’t give their consent, they must make them accept cookies first.

Sites will need to provide an opt-out option. Even after getting valid consent, sites must give people the option to change their mind. If you ask for consent through opt-in boxes in a settings menu, users must always be able to return to that menu to adjust their preferences.

Is it possible to get the detail publicised so we can dig into it, I’m genuinely curious as to how you have solved many of the overzealous requirements that third parties will demand you document.