Best zero percent credit card

Whilst not applicable in this case, it’s worth noting that is easy to get caught out with this assumption if abroad.

Last year I hired a car abroad and used the credit card I had with me for the deposit as there weren’t enough spare funds on my debit card.

Once back in the UK it became apparent that they didn’t hold the funds and then release them when the car was returned undamaged, but instead charged the card on collection and then put the money back on the card later. Barclaycard charged me a transaction fee and poor exchange rate on both transactions, with a net loss to me of about £20.

I’ve since taken out a Tandem card for free foreign use and cashback (handy as I put about 2k per month on it for work expenses). I really like it, but similar to Monzo there are acceptance issues, e.g. my local Tesco pay at pump won’t accept it and says “card not accepted” (rather than a declined transaction)

1 Like

I currently have the Post Office 0% card. Though I generally pay it back in full we are often making large purchases for the house and need several months to pay it back so it’s handy to have when this happens.

That’s a very interesting point around hiring a car overseas

Puts a complete different perspective on choosing the card as the last thing I want is to incur charges on overseas transactions

1 Like

I’d personally go for an Amex cashback card. Great CS and a very nice app. You get notifications in Google Pay even when you use the physical card, which I find a nice touch.

That link will give you £10 when you first use the card (and £20 to me for the referral).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.