BBC - 'Why I'm sick of being told to save money'

It’s not, you can rent if you want. Keep in mind you need to cost in rent until you die into your future investments to cover you, and ensure you have the appropriate insurance that will cover rent if you end up out of work for whatever reason.

2 Likes

I know I can but the norm is for a mortgage, is my point here.

But thanks for explaining what I can do.

Most people want a permanent home, that’s a pretty natural thought :man_shrugging: No ones he’ll bent on anything

Hell bent?

Ok, not sure what that came from. I’ll drop out of this discussion now.

1 Like

So the author would rather spend money on tech gadgets and going out rather than saving money, go figure

2 Likes

:smile:

Agreed I think it’s sorted. We have choice of either here as long as appropriately planned.

It is. But we could have a system where this is possible by renting, rather than buying.

German system seems pretty decent in this respect.

3 Likes

There should be improvements in regards for renting absolutely.

1 Like

My biggest issue with this article is the (paraphrasing here) “I’ll never be able to afford a house so I instead invest my money in going out with friends, ‘community building’” I feel like this mentality is so widespread among twenty-somethings, I hear it all the time. I feel like, if you just resign yourself to “never affording” thus spending money frivolously on going out as some kind of justification, you truly will never afford something like a house/similar.

Totally appreciate housing costs in London are absurd, I lived there for 9 years, moving away September 2018. However, in my final year I really put my mind to not only saving money but also spending as much quality time as I could with friends. Yes, this did mean sacrificing some things like daily Pret habits and most public transport, but I came out of it with a house deposit and a cracker of a final year in the big smoke.

I was on a pretty average salary and did combine said house deposit with my partner, but my point is that I think most of the time, what you can get with your money is very much a result of how you approach it to begin with.

Hoping I articulated my point well here!?

3 Likes

This is so true, there is the expectation that you’ll never be able to afford your own home but in reality it is achievable and you need to sacrifice certain things sometimes. it’s just very hard but definitely achievable

1 Like