Barclays - Spending restrictions

Suppose another thing they could add is to change the limit on how much you can withdraw from account each day?

Because there is nothing stopping you going to the cash point round the corner then using the money for something with a block on. I know it adds more friction which is always a good thing

Nope!

If your card is stolen and you don’t get to blocking it immediately, there is the slightly less concern as they can’t do fuel fraud (oh, hello Monzo)

Pay at pump still does a £1 auth charge, which Barclays does see. I assume this would be blocked.

1 Like

They’ve had that for a while, you can select your daily ATM withdrawal limit in app

2 Likes

I know but requires them to have

1. Turned it on
  2. Not turned it off
  3. Not use petrol otherwise they are unlikely to never turn it on
  4. Lose their card
  5. Forget to freeze it
  6. The person decides to do fuel fraud and the bank doesnt notice

Unlikely maybe, but people do forget things. Again, it probably goes back to that category of people who just want more control :man_shrugging:

Are you rooted to take that screenshot ? Using magisk to hide root? Is it cat and mouse with Google and magisk, like apps won’t work untill there is a magisk update every so often?

Not rooted! I have OnePlus 6 and screenshots just work :man_shrugging:

And about this :point_down:

No clue :smile:

Oh because some apps like banking apps block screenshots being taken and usually you have to root to get round that restriction,
Just had a look my OnePlus 3t doesn’t let screenshots :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Did you try 3 finger swipe to take screenshot?

Also doesn’t work,it’s on Android 8 so maybe 9 doesn’t block

Any further explanation?

About blocking certain transactions

Monzo have had a gambling transaction block for ages. Monzo and Starling have been leading the way on this one :+1:

3 Likes

Barclays have a good idea but rubbish in reality due to the lack of friction in removing the blocks

This is the same with Starling. There’s a balance to be had, and the big banks seems to be airing on the side of caution.

It’s sort of understandable, can you imagine the response if a bank as big as Barclays ‘blocked’ someone from accessing their funds? Likewise, I suspect they don’t want to increase their customer service load by increasing friction.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be Barclays blocking it though. There’s not even a message though asking if you’re sure or having to enter your app pin to turn it back off. Friction is needed or it’s as useful as a chocolate fire guard

2 Likes

Please add this as well. It’s basically the ability to block spending from different places so you can’t spent money on JustEat and similar. It’d be great to either be able to set a monthly limit or even block payments all together.

People might be going to petrol stations to buy scratch cards or alcohol as these are usually opened till late or even 24h.

Just moved this to the dedicated thread. Hope that’s OK!

1 Like

Most actually stores are also open 24 hours (Most big tescos and a lot of corner stops are open to late)